Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

Default Paint the trailer

Ive got my $500 livestock trailer to paint.

I was innitally thinking of rolling on some rustoleum. Then i thought i might have Maco spray it after i prep it. But the I thought why not practice spraying rustoleum. I have plenty of other projects that could do with rustoleum paint jobs so....

Internets say reduce it with automotive enamal reducer. 8-4-1 8 paint 4 reducer 1 hardner.

At that point do you spray it with a regular 1.4mm HVLP gun? or should i go for a 2.2 "primer" gun and shoot something like 3-1.

looking for feedback from people who have actually done this and what they used specifically.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Default Re: Paint the trailer

I sprayed Rustoleum paint on a new one piece floor pan I installed in a Chevelle convertible last year. I used a cheapy Harbor Freight HVLP gun, compressor air pressure set about 40#, (drops to about 30-35 pulling the trigger), 1.4mm, I thinned the paint roughly 2 to 1, (2 parts paint to 1 part mineral spirits). I did not use hardener just a day with a box fan blowing on it to dry. Rustoleum red for the top, when dry I put the car on the lift and sprayed rustoleum black underneath. It should work the same on your trailer. I've sprayed rustoleum on many projects, just happened to have a pic of this one. I did my car trailer in black using this mixture also but brushed it on rather than spraying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint the trailer-5-jpg  
    Last edited by George2615; 04-27-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I have spayed trailers with it just thinning using paint thinner/mineral spirits.

Set the gun to the specs for the compressor and go.

You ain't painting a piano here......

Chris

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i'd get a harbor freight 20$ gun.. some tsc paint.. some naptha or mineral spirits ( based on paint recs ).. and then some quick cure hardner nason , if you aren't sensitive to it. and let her rip.

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

word has it acetone works better than just reg mineral spirits without going to automotive enamal reducers.

Dont suppose anyone has used a #4 ford viscosity cup?

zahn #2 Ford #4 Viscosity Charts

Ive done this before, but just kinda guessed at things, usually small to medium parts. For me the difficulty was in trying to reliably thin my paint. Some times it would go well... other times just awufull. So i guess they use the ford cup to remedy this especially when working with something generic like Rustoleum. Most of this was as a "kid" before i understood there was a relation ship between the type of gun (nozzle size), pressure, viscosity.

Im going to try 30-40 sec in a #4 ford through a 1.8mm "primer" gun.

ill update with some pics etc when i get to that point.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I sprayed a car trailer with rustoleum. It turned out good and still looks good after a couple of years. I think I used a suction gun on it. I can't remember how much I thinned it.

Tractor
    Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST

Schmism got it with suggesting using acetone to thin the Rustoleum for spraying. I am getting ready to spray my trailer gate/ramp, and sure enough, right on the can of Rustoleum it says to use acetone. I guess it flashes off so fast that it helps with spraying. Never used hardner.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i've seen some that use hexane for a reducer.

i was a lil hesitant at first.. but let me say.. that nason synthetic enamil was touch safe in 15m using hexane thinner and quick cure hardner!

Tractor
    JD 5055E

Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    Schmism got it with suggesting using acetone to thin the Rustoleum for spraying. I am getting ready to spray my trailer gate/ramp, and sure enough, right on the can of Rustoleum it says to use acetone. I guess it flashes off so fast that it helps with spraying. Never used hardner.
    I just finished this trailer build, and used Rustoleum w/acetone. I wouldn't paint my car with it, but I like it for trailers. Touch up with a rattle can. What could be better?

Paint the trailer-new-14-ft-trailer-002-a

Bill

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Here is my rustoleum paint job. It has been on there over a year and a half. I still need to get the lights and winch on it and buy a tool box.

I guess I thinned it with acetone if that is what the can says to use. I did use the rusty metal primer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast