Brake Controller suggestions

/ Brake Controller suggestions #1  

Dale1995

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Just pulled the plug and purchased a 2013 Silverado Crew Cab, Couldn't pass up the deals with all the incentives being offered, and my old silverado had 150,000 miles on it. Will be taking delivery on Monday, and am wondering what you guys out there might suggest for a brake controller for this truck. I pull a 18' car hauler, with my 2320 and all its toys now and then, plus I also use it for my z930 zero turn to mow a few properties. Whats out there and what is everyone using. Appreciate your input on this matter.:D

/ Brake Controller suggestions #3  
Is there a price range? If money is no object then the MaxBrake is the way to go. If you are trying to stay near the $100 mark then the Tekonsha prodigy controllers work very well. I have the P2 and it works great.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #4  
Get the dealership to install the factory controller or get a different truck with one in it. Anti lock brake technology and just a much better and safer controller.

Nothing less on a new truck!

Chris

/ Brake Controller suggestions #5  
Get the dealership to install the factory controller or get a different truck with one in it. Anti lock brake technology and just a much better and safer controller.

Chris

+++ factory controller if you can otherwise the Prodigy hands down. I use the P2 in my wife's Tahoe but made sure I got the factory brake controller in my new truck.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #6  

Chris

How much will that set you back? A proportional based aftermarket controller will work just fine with ABS. If buying a new truck I would opt for the option but I wouldn't avoid a truck that didn't have it. I've even read people on RV forums say that some manufacturers do not recommend installing a factory controller at the dealer on trucks that didn't come equipped with it. That if you do you any mishaps are solely the responsibility of the dealer and the MFG will not stand behind it.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #7  
How much will that set you back? A proportional based aftermarket controller will work just fine with ABS. If buying a new truck I would opt for the option but I wouldn't avoid a truck that didn't have it. I've even read people on RV forums say that some manufacturers do not recommend installing a factory controller at the dealer on trucks that didn't come equipped with it. That if you do you any mishaps are solely the responsibility of the dealer and the MFG will not stand behind it.

BS. The factory controller can be added to trucks without any dealer issues. My uncle paid about $350. For a Ford they are about $160 if ordered with a truck new. They beat any Prodigy or aftermarket controller hands down. The only thing close is the Max Brake.

Chris

/ Brake Controller suggestions #8  
A quick search turned up this.

GM does not recommend installing the factory brake controller to the system. It is more complicated than just some electrical connections.

#PIT4729C: Adding Intergrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1 - (Aug 18, 2011)

Subject: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1

Models: 2007 - 2012 Chevrolet Silverado

2009 - 2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 - 2012 GMC Sierra

2009 - 2012 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIT4729B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may request the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (RPO JL1) be installed on their Full Size pickup/utility when the vehicle was not ordered with the option.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is to advise you that if the vehicle does not have the option (RPO JL1) it cannot be added to the vehicle.

Note: Bulletin 07-08-45-001F or later advises how to install an aftermarket trailer brake controller.

I have no clue if it's true, just repeating what I've read.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #9  
Just going through this issue with a brand new F150. With Ford, it's my understanding that as long as you have a factory trailer tow package (both 4 & 7 pin connectors and hitch receiver from the factory) that you can install Ford's brake controller and have a dealer reflash the computer and you're all set. The wiring harness is already in the glovebox.
Ford brand controllers can be bought online for anywhere from $128 to $175 that I've found. I'll be speaking to my service manager today to see what they have to say and how much they'll hit me to do it all.
Words from an ebay auction about how the factory controller works with features already on the truck:
"Trailer Sway Control builds on the F-150's AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control system to help maintain trailer control through selective wheel braking and reduced engine power."

/ Brake Controller suggestions #10  
Just going through this issue with a brand new F150. With Ford, it's my understanding that as long as you have a factory trailer tow package (both 4 & 7 pin connectors and hitch receiver from the factory) that you can install Ford's brake controller and have a dealer reflash the computer and you're all set. The wiring harness is already in the glovebox.
Ford brand controllers can be bought online for anywhere from $128 to $175 that I've found. I'll be speaking to my service manager today to see what they have to say and how much they'll hit me to do it all.
Words from an ebay auction about how the factory controller works with features already on the truck:
"Trailer Sway Control builds on the F-150's AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control system to help maintain trailer control through selective wheel braking and reduced engine power."

Yes, its not a big process on a Ford. Dont monkey around with a aftermarket controller, the factory one is the only way to go.

Chris