Troubleshooting brake controller

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #1  

cstp

Tractor
Kubota M7040
Hi folks,

I will be borrowing a 14000 lb GVW trailer and an F-250 to transport a 10000 lb tractor between farms from time to time this summer. Last week I used them to haul some pipe, and it didn't feel to me that the trailer brakes were working (at one point, coming out of a gravel driveway on a fairly steep down slope, I braked and the trailer pushed the skidding truck down the hill a little, even though I was going quite slow to begin with). The owner of the truck hasn't used it to tow a trailer in several years. The trailer is brand new, while the truck is almost 20 years old, so my immediate thought is that the brake controller either needs to be adjusted or isn't working at all. Any tips for how I could isolate the problem?

The brake controller is a Tekonsha commander. When the trailer is hooked up, one green light comes on, but no other lights come on during braking. The owner of the truck no longer has the manual.

Thanks in advance...

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #3  
if the controll sees the trailer.. that is usually good. means the wire to the magnet is good.

most trailer brake problems I se are ground related.

in any case.. you cn hook it up after cleaning grounds and then jack up one side and have a helper spin the tires and have you hit the brakes.. see if they stop turning. :) then do the other side.

also possible the brakes need adjusting or sheer repalcement.

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #4  
Hi folks,

I will be borrowing a 14000 lb GVW trailer and an F-250 to transport a 10000 lb tractor between farms from time to time this summer...
Thanks in advance...
I have a tractor that's around 10-11K lbs with the loader installed and tires filled with CaCl. I've been thinking about a trailer to haul it and figure a 14K trailer would be the minimum, maybe a little under. Guessing 14K deckover would weigh around 4K (?), that leaves 10K for the load. Or maybe I should consider having the trailer built up to 16K which would be quite a few more $$, what do you'all think? When the dealer demoed it without loader he hauled it on a 14K behind an F-250, but with the loader on and no fluid in the tires he chose to use a large rollback.

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #5  
i'd find out the actual weight of the tractor on a certified scale. then I'd lookup manufacturer weights on your 14k trailers you are looking at. then you can do a lil math.

is this a gn or bumper ?

gn will have a lil mor epin weight xfer than bumperpull tounge weight .. etc.c.

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #6  
i'd find out the actual weight of the tractor on a certified scale. then I'd lookup manufacturer weights on your 14k trailers you are looking at. then you can do a lil math.

is this a gn or bumper ?

gn will have a lil mor epin weight xfer than bumperpull tounge weight .. etc.c.
I could go either way (gn vs. bumper) but guess I would prefer to stay bumper with WD hitch if necessary so as to have option of having cap on truck for longer trips.

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #7  
gn will pull better.. jmho

if i was anywhere near load max or even a bit over.. it would be on a gn.. deffinately not a tetter-tottering bumper pull.

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #8  
You need to find the real weight. I personally would have a tri axle 18K bumper pull trailer built.

Chris

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #9  
Hi folks,

I will be borrowing a 14000 lb GVW trailer and an F-250 to transport a 10000 lb tractor between farms from time to time this summer. Last week I used them to haul some pipe, and it didn't feel to me that the trailer brakes were working (at one point, coming out of a gravel driveway on a fairly steep down slope, I braked and the trailer pushed the skidding truck down the hill a little, even though I was going quite slow to begin with). The owner of the truck hasn't used it to tow a trailer in several years. The trailer is brand new, while the truck is almost 20 years old, so my immediate thought is that the brake controller either needs to be adjusted or isn't working at all. Any tips for how I could isolate the problem?

The brake controller is a Tekonsha commander. When the trailer is hooked up, one green light comes on, but no other lights come on during braking. The owner of the truck no longer has the manual.

Thanks in advance...

Two things, I have found that trailer brakes rust quickly and it takes a couple of stops before they are fully functional. Second, you mention that the trailer is new. Have you adjusted the brakes? Sometimes they throw these things together at the factory and forget to adjust the brakes.

/ Troubleshooting brake controller #10  
First, test the trailer brakes by sliding the manual overide all the way on. The brakes on the trailer should lock up.

Second, we discovered that the ford wiring harness is not heavy enough for multiple axle brakes. You should upgrade both the power input to the controller and the harness back to the trailer plug. It will make a HUGE difference in the braking power of the trailer.

Third, if no lights come on when you touch the brake pedal, the wire to the brake light switch is broken.