Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean?

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #21  
Any idea how much trailer weight is on the rear axles? Loaded, of course, as you would be pulling it.

If they were regular spring axles, you could probably mix heavier axles with softer springs, but it may not be possible to do with the torsion axles.

800 lbs per axle (1600 lbs for the pair) might help.

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #22  
I suspect that the basic issue might be dual axles. Depending on loads and hitch height which will affect tire loading somewhat remember that since the axles are fixed there always will be some scrubbing during turns.
Front heavy and sharp turns will cause the outer side of rear tires to scrub.
On a perfectly loaded (balanced) and proper hitch height any scrubbing would be so evenly distributed that you would hardly notice it.

A friend of mine has 5 trailers on rental. Only one is dual and the rears are wearing regularly simply because most vehicles hitches are too low for that particular dual HD trailer. In fact I often see it pull away with the rear tires either in the air or skipping along. Naturally on every turn the rears scrub sideways. It had been special ordered to carry heavy compact loads. (cases of soft drinks) Due to rentals he simply can not custom fit each and every client with suitable matching hitches, generally they already have their own installed setup.
On 3/4 ton P.U.'s it is fine but behind a typical SUV it always leaves with the rear end sticking up high.

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #23  
A friend of mine has 5 trailers on rental. Only one is dual and the rears are wearing regularly simply because most vehicles hitches are too low for that particular dual HD trailer. In fact I often see it pull away with the rear tires either in the air or skipping along. Naturally on every turn the rears scrub sideways. It had been special ordered to carry heavy compact loads. (cases of soft drinks) Due to rentals he simply can not custom fit each and every client with suitable matching hitches, generally they already have their own installed setup.
On 3/4 ton P.U.'s it is fine but behind a typical SUV it always leaves with the rear end sticking up high.
Why not get an adjustable hitch such as OneMount OneMount Adjustable Ball Mount 10001 ? Would seem that it would pay for itself with the first set of tires...

Aaron Z

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #24  
The crown is up. I doubt the spring bushing were worn last year at 250 miles. Alignment is the problem, I'm pretty certain.

When you say the crown is up do you mean that if you look under the trailer and the steel tube going between the two wheels the center is higher than the sides? If so that sounds wrong to me.

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean?
When you say the crown is up do you mean that if you look under the trailer and the steel tube going between the two wheels the center is higher than the sides? If so that sounds wrong to me.
Yes, the center is higher then the sides. That's how all my trailers are. Car hauler, cargo trailer, sea doo trailer and my hybrid camper trailer. I think that's the correct way.

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean?
I suspect that the basic issue might be dual axles. Depending on loads and hitch height which will affect tire loading somewhat remember that since the axles are fixed there always will be some scrubbing during turns.
Front heavy and sharp turns will cause the outer side of rear tires to scrub.
On a perfectly loaded (balanced) and proper hitch height any scrubbing would be so evenly distributed that you would hardly notice it.

Though i see what your saying, this is a fifth wheel trailer and not a bumper pull type trailer. The trailer seems very flat when loaded. The hitch is adjustable, the dealer set it up themselves. They actually installed the fifth wheel hitch in the bed of the truck too. They set the ride height for the truck and trailer. This is a dedicated truck/trailer set up, meaning the trailer only gets pulled by this particular truck and its the only trailer this truck pulls with a fifth wheel. Kind of a faithful marriage if you will. :)

Also i tow quite a bit with various other trailers and this is the only problematic one, so possible but unlikely i am the problem some particular bad driving habit. I really think either the trailer frame is not square, the axles are not aligned properly or simply under rated axles.

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #27  
Do you get really bad curb-rash on the tires and rims?

Still, a good trailer should be able to take a fair amount of abuse, hopping a few curbs at low speed, and etc.

The trailer is 2 years old, 5000 miles, and gone through 3 axles. And how many tires? 4? 6? 8?

In the same amount of time, have you blown out 3 rearends in your pickup and toasted 2 sets of pickup tires?

Something is seriously wrong with the trailer, and certainly not something I'd expect on a $50,000 trailer.

It sounds to me like the components are not designed with adequate reserve capacity. A heavy bump might essentially momentarily double the load on the axle. Some will be taken up by the tire, springs, and etc. But, the axle needs to be designed to take the load plus the bumps.

Did you ever get an axle weight?
Too bad you can't just test the trailer with the 7K axle, just to see how it pulls, and if it shakes the trailer to pieces.

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #28  
My father hit the edge of a concrete bridge deck on a farm road with the horse trailer. one torsion arm bent and it ate the tire in 50km. So i tied it up to the silo and yanked the torsion arm back with the tractor. Now it leans inward a bit, but it does track as it didnt eat the new tire we put on... thats 5 years ago and we still have it. Oh, i did damage the stand of the silo i tied it to, it was an old one and the 3 1/2" pipe was a bit rusty.

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #29  
Maybe a good R.V. site like 1rv2 become member then look up the forum on your model of trailer and length If there is problem with axle it would be discussed.
or post the same question on there site will have answers of some one with simular problems.
A $50 k trailer triple axles out of warrenty may be good idea to trade in for newer and different manufacture.
I'm on my 3 rd trailer and have never been satisied with all the promises made by seller/dealer. Figured out there only interested in the sale and then hope to never see you again. If you come back charge the max. for the least done and push you on.
Talking to owners in trailer camp sites the triple axle trailers are problems if not set up proper. just because the dealer installed still may need some one experanced look at it. equal weight on each axle and never touch a curb, pot hole, speed bump treat them like there fragile because they are.

In camp site at Lethbridge , Canada and triple axle trailer came in with middle axle flopping hitting other tires. New trailer picked up that day from dealer. they sent out a repair man that jacked up showed owner the bolts were loose to ackles.
If you find the answer would like you to respond and let us know the answer.
ken

/ Lost the camber on a trailer axle.......What does that mean? #30  
Yes, the center is higher then the sides. That's how all my trailers are. Car hauler, cargo trailer, sea doo trailer and my hybrid camper trailer. I think that's the correct way.

This is correct. Center high when unloaded. More level when loaded.