Preserving the new deck of my trailer

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #1  

dirtrustler

Tractor
Kubota M7040 4WD
I redecked the floor of my 16 foot trailer yesterday with pressure-treated 2X10X16's
Is it recommended that I roll some additional preservative on? Formula?
Thanks,
Dirtrustler

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #2  
I would let it dry for a year. PT lumber is very wet.

If you use anything I would use used diesel oil cut with diesel fuel. Old farmer trick. Must be oil that has been used in a diesel motor.

Me personally would leave it. Should last 15 years.

Chris

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #3  
If you use anything I would use used diesel oil cut with diesel fuel. Old farmer trick. Must be oil that has been used in a diesel motor.

Chris

Oh! ew! No, definitely do not do this. Unless you want to think about your increased cancer risk every time you touch the stupid trailer. And will never let your family or pets anywhere near it. And won't touch things that have ever been in contact with it. And don't mind it being slippery all the time. And looking stained and nasty. Was this a joke, Chris? Used diesel motor oil is highly carcinogenic and should always be disposed of properly.

I would also leave it, it'll last at least a decade. Or wait for it to finally get all dried out, then water-seal it, might add a few years of life.

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #4  
Oh! ew! No, definitely do not do this. Unless you want to think about your increased cancer risk every time you touch the stupid trailer. And will never let your family or pets anywhere near it. And won't touch things that have ever been in contact with it. And don't mind it being slippery all the time. And looking stained and nasty. Was this a joke, Chris? Used diesel motor oil is highly carcinogenic and should always be disposed of properly.

I would also leave it, it'll last at least a decade. Or wait for it to finally get all dried out, then water-seal it, might add a few years of life.

No joke. It soaks in and does a great job. Afyer a few sunny days it will not track. Been used on trailers, split rail fence, fence post, barns, ect for years and years.

Chris

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #5  
I paint my trailer decking black. It might help with rot/decay resistance some, but I do it for looks mainly. I suppose it could absorb the sun and dry faster. I'm seriously considering using c-purlin instead of wood next time. Coat it with Herculiner or similar and it should last for a generation or two.

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #6  
I put leftover deck stain on mine.

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #7  

Chris

Old farmer neighbor of mine years ago would take his old motor oil and mix with diesel. poured it all around on his pole barn post. Later converted to a shed for a motor home. After he died his son got the place and years later he died. I went to the old house place last year and all that is left of the old pole barn/shed is about 6" of the telephone poles that Ed poured that concoction on 30 years ago! It works!!

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #8  
Old farmer neighbor of mine years ago would take his old motor oil and mix with diesel. poured it all around on his pole barn post. Later converted to a shed for a motor home. After he died his son got the place and years later he died. I went to the old house place last year and all that is left of the old pole barn/shed is about 6" of the telephone poles that Ed poured that concoction on 30 years ago! It works!!

Yes, and looks good too. My buddy has 6 acres contained with a wooden fence painted with it.

Chris

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #9  

Chris
Ditto, its been done for decades in my area.

/ Preserving the new deck of my trailer #10  
I used 1/2" green treated plywood and screwed it over the top of the planking. Now, whenever I haul my tractor with chains on it... I don't fret about it! Plywood gets ratty and thin - I'll screw another sheet down.

AKfish