2011 and up duramax

/ 2011 and up duramax #1  

hrcarver

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 6120, 7200, 7700 - ford 2910, 3000, 7610, 7740 - IH 140(2), Super A - kubota m6040
Looking into a new drw 3500. Not been impressed by any of the diesels since around 2001, but I don't really keep up with the news on them until I need another one.. Are the bugs worked out? How bout mileage? Is that urea fluid working well so far? Allison tranny still good I hope.

/ 2011 and up duramax #2  
According to a lot of owners and reviews its the best pulling of the current crop. Most useable power, best ride, best transmission and best exhaust brake.

The 2013 Ram 3500 may change all this.

/ 2011 and up duramax #3  
Only real issue is the GM trucks have had the Urea freeze. Ford does not seem to have this issue and Dodge just started using it this year.

Also, GM made a big advancement in the chassis. I believe it was 2012 or 2013 but you definitely want it versus the previous one if buying a GM.

Chris

/ 2011 and up duramax #4  
2011 and up is the new chassis.

The nice thing about the GM trucks is that if and when you have a fuel system problem under warranty you won't be shafted like Ford does. The new CP4 high pressure fuel pumps have incredibly tight tolerances and cannot handle water at all.

The engine is proven, like the Cummins. The disadvantages is that the switchgear is a bit cheaper and the cab is smaller. I can say from my own experience that they are very comfortable.

/ 2011 and up duramax #5  
Only real issue is the GM trucks have had the Urea freeze. Ford does not seem to have this issue and Dodge just started using it this year.

Also, GM made a big advancement in the chassis. I believe it was 2012 or 2013 but you definitely want it versus the previous one if buying a GM.

Chris

I have never seen Urea freeze. Even in the coldest weather.

/ 2011 and up duramax #6  
Same here our 2011 duramax started at -47 in the north with no issues of frozen DEF

/ 2011 and up duramax #7  
Same here our 2011 duramax started at -47 in the north with no issues of frozen DEF

If you leave the truck parked outside - below 32F - the DEF tank will begin to freeze. Unfortunately, even FORD has not yet developed the technology to keep "unheated" water (or Ammonia) from freezing below 32F! ;)

No, problems while driving... the manufacturer's have installed heaters in the DEF tanks. It's the parking - that'll get you.

Although, I've been told that the GM vehicles do not require DEF for the first 30 miles or so. Or, until the tank warms up enough for the fluid to be injected into the exhaust.

AKfish

/ 2011 and up duramax #8  

Chris

Boy Ford really is special. The urea some how will not freeze in a ford but will in other trucks, right. It's like ford is magic to some people.

/ 2011 and up duramax #9  
If you leave the truck parked outside - below 32F - the DEF tank will begin to freeze. Unfortunately, even FORD has not yet developed the technology to keep "unheated" water (or Ammonia) from freezing below 32F! ;)

I have observed UREA re-fills at -30C. It was still liquid. That's -22F....

/ 2011 and up duramax #10  
Boy Ford really is special. The urea some how will not freeze in a ford but will in other trucks, right. It's like ford is magic to some people.
Or they have just done a better job at heating the urea tank and then teaching the ECU when the urea is unavailable (from being frozen) so that it doesn't try to use urea and fail (causing limp home mode and other such niceties).

Aaron Z