Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    jd 6120, 7200, 7700 - ford 2910, 3000, 7610, 7740 - IH 140(2), Super A - kubota m6040

Default 2011 and up duramax

Looking into a new drw 3500. Not been impressed by any of the diesels since around 2001, but I don't really keep up with the news on them until I need another one.. Are the bugs worked out? How bout mileage? Is that urea fluid working well so far? Allison tranny still good I hope.
    http://www.bioplots.com/
    Food plot seed, services, and mineral supplements

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

According to a lot of owners and reviews its the best pulling of the current crop. Most useable power, best ride, best transmission and best exhaust brake.

The 2013 Ram 3500 may change all this.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Only real issue is the GM trucks have had the Urea freeze. Ford does not seem to have this issue and Dodge just started using it this year.

Also, GM made a big advancement in the chassis. I believe it was 2012 or 2013 but you definitely want it versus the previous one if buying a GM.

Chris

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

2011 and up is the new chassis.

The nice thing about the GM trucks is that if and when you have a fuel system problem under warranty you won't be shafted like Ford does. The new CP4 high pressure fuel pumps have incredibly tight tolerances and cannot handle water at all.

The engine is proven, like the Cummins. The disadvantages is that the switchgear is a bit cheaper and the cab is smaller. I can say from my own experience that they are very comfortable.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Default Re: 2011 and up duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Only real issue is the GM trucks have had the Urea freeze. Ford does not seem to have this issue and Dodge just started using it this year.

Also, GM made a big advancement in the chassis. I believe it was 2012 or 2013 but you definitely want it versus the previous one if buying a GM.

Chris
    I have never seen Urea freeze. Even in the coldest weather.
    Tim.

Tractor
    L45 kubota

Same here our 2011 duramax started at -47 in the north with no issues of frozen DEF

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; Ford Ferguson 9N: JD X300R

Quote Originally Posted by andrehoude View Post
    Same here our 2011 duramax started at -47 in the north with no issues of frozen DEF
    If you leave the truck parked outside - below 32F - the DEF tank will begin to freeze. Unfortunately, even FORD has not yet developed the technology to keep "unheated" water (or Ammonia) from freezing below 32F!

No, problems while driving... the manufacturer's have installed heaters in the DEF tanks. It's the parking - that'll get you.

Although, I've been told that the GM vehicles do not require DEF for the first 30 miles or so. Or, until the tank warms up enough for the fluid to be injected into the exhaust.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    John Deere 955 With 70a Loader and 7 backhoe, John Deere 110 Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post

Chris
    Boy Ford really is special. The urea some how will not freeze in a ford but will in other trucks, right. It's like ford is magic to some people.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    If you leave the truck parked outside - below 32F - the DEF tank will begin to freeze. Unfortunately, even FORD has not yet developed the technology to keep "unheated" water (or Ammonia) from freezing below 32F!
    I have observed UREA re-fills at -30C. It was still liquid. That's -22F....
    Tim.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by burnieman View Post
    Boy Ford really is special. The urea some how will not freeze in a ford but will in other trucks, right. It's like ford is magic to some people.
    Or they have just done a better job at heating the urea tank and then teaching the ECU when the urea is unavailable (from being frozen) so that it doesn't try to use urea and fail (causing limp home mode and other such niceties).

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast