Dump truck vs dump trailer

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #1  

IMCA38

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1225 w/loader, Case 1840 SS, Ransomes 723D mower
I've been longing for a hydraulic dump trailer to use around the place, but I can't justify the cost of $4500+.
Presently I use a two place snowmobile trailer that has 2' plywood sides. Works pretty good for hauling brush or tree limbs, but the bad part is unloading it by hand.
We have three long rows of evergreen trees that are slowly dying off from pine wilt, so I'll have pleanty of work going forward. Also, it would be nice to have something to haul driveway rock, soil, etc.
I have found out about a late 1980's Chevy truck coming up for sale, not sure if 3/4T or 1T (appears to have single rear wheels). It has an elec/hyd dump box, I'd guess 8-10' long and about 3' high.(Even with the top of the cab). Body looks decent for it's age. The box reminds me of what you would see a lawn service or landscaper use. Anyhow, indications are that this truck might be bought for around $2500.
For that price, I might be tempted to jump on it as it would be about $2000 less than a trailer. I can see some advantages and some disadvantages to truck vs trailer.
Truck advantages- Cheaper to buy, easier to manuver, save wear and tear on my good truck, maybe more versatile if I can pull a trailer with it too.
Truck disadvantages- More expensive to maintain, license, insure, etc(although I'd probably put comp and collision on a trailer due to value and risk of theft), Less payload than a tandem trailer (provided you have enough truck to pull a loaded trailer)
I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts on the subject.

Thanks

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #2  
Could you drive the truck to every place on your property where you would take the tractor and a dump trailer?

Bruce

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #3  
I recently had sort of a similar situation, although on a smaller scale. I was thinking of ditching my Suzuki Sierra (you call them samuri's) and getting a cheap Toyota Hilux tray top to use around the property. In the end I just bought another cheap second hand trailer. So glad I did. I know the Sierra inside and out. Its reliable and cheap to run and maintain. I decided I didnt want another 'unknown' vehicle with all its possible problems and expenses. It was one of my more sensible decisions.

(As I get older I'm getting better at resisting 'impulse buys')

Last edited:
   / Dump truck vs dump trailer #4  
I had a similar decision to make about a year ago and opted for the 10K# DT and don't regret it. Here are some thoughts...

Not sure how it is in NE, but in MD you need a safety inspection done when transferring vehicle ownership. Even if you need relatively simple things done - like tires, brakes, exhaust, etc - you could easily hit $2000 just to get it on the road legally - on top of the other expenses you mentioned. Even if there is no issue on that front - the cost to maintain will quickly exceed the difference in initial costs

Given the payload capacity, I would honestly consider it a non-starter. You didn't mention what your current truck is - but before I bought the DT I used a Load Handler on my Dodge Ram 2500 - it worked great on any load I could carry in the truck - but compared to being able to haul 4 tons in my dump trailer, it doesn't even come close. For brush, what you are considering would be fine - but you may be disappointed the first time you go to haul a load of dirt or gravel.

When I got the Ram, I still had my old F350 SRW that was still in great working condition and considered a dump insert instead of the trailer - but again the same issue - maintaining an extra engine and much smaller payload

Maneuverability is the key and only advantage as far as your case goes, and if that is a hard requirement then it may be worth it - but the payload deficit would always bug me. If the truck you are considering was DRW with a 3-5 ton capacity for that price, the decision would be harder - but if it is only a glorified pickup...not so much

Good luck either way you go!

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #5  
Given the payload capacity, I would honestly consider it a non-starter. You didn't mention what your current truck is - but before I bought the DT I used a Load Handler on my Dodge Ram 2500 - it worked great on any load I could carry in the truck - but compared to being able to haul 4 tons in my dump trailer, it doesn't even come close. For brush, what you are considering would be fine - but you may be disappointed the first time you go to haul a load of dirt or gravel.
Good luck either way you go!

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I was pulling 4+ tons of stone on my trailer and I saw someone with an OBS F350 dump truck sitting nearby with some stone on. No way he could take 4 tons on that.
The original poster has some things to consider. He's already aware of the long term costs like insurance and maintenance on a dump truck. He's also aware that a truck to pull a dump trailer needs the capacity to do so. I don't know that I'd attempt to pull my trailer with 4 or 5 tons of stone with my F150. But fortunately I've got an F Super Duty 7.3 diesel for business that I can pull the trailer with.
I have a fair sized gravel driveway that I maintain. I also haul 3-4 yards of mulch for the wife's landscaping. I have an S185 Bobcat that I can fit into the dump trailer. So it was worth it for me to get a dump trailer. Depending on IMCA38's needs, he just might get away with the dump truck. I couldn't because of limited capacity and the desire to not register, insure and maintain another motor vehicle. We already have 4 of those plus 3 Harleys to do that with.
In the end you have to weigh what your most common uses would be for both dump truck and dump trailer, think about the long term expenses and go from there.

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #6  
Those trucks are just so limited on the weight they can carry.

For the same money or less my neighbor got a 1976 Ford F700 & a 1978 Chevy C60.

The Ford can haul 8 tons and the Chevy 6.

Chris

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #7  
Those trucks are just so limited on the weight they can carry.

For the same money or less my neighbor got a 1976 Ford F700 & a 1978 Chevy C60.

The Ford can haul 8 tons and the Chevy 6.

Chris

I don't know about Nebraska, where the OP is from but New York would spank you hard for the yearly registration fee on a truck registered to carry that much. That's why he should sort out how often he would use it and his long term needs for something to transport whatever materials he has in mind.

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #8  
I don't know about Nebraska, where the OP is from but New York would spank you hard for the yearly registration fee on a truck registered to carry that much. That's why he should sort out how often he would use it and his long term needs for something to transport whatever materials he has in mind.

Around here we put farm plates on them. Cost about $45 per year.

Only limit is personal use and 150 mile radius from home in state only.

Chris

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #9  
You need the weight on the truck whether it is on the truck or the trailer, at least here. I have to have 18k tags on my pickup.

/ Dump truck vs dump trailer #10  
You need the weight on the truck whether it is on the truck or the trailer, at least here. I have to have 18k tags on my pickup.

Not here in Indiana. We register the truck for its GVWR and the trailer for its GVWR.

For example my Nissan Titan has a GVWR of 7,200# but they only have 7,000# & 9,000# plates so I put 9,000# plates on it. My boat trailer is 12,000# so I put a 12,000# plate on it.

We have 3,000#, 5,000#, 7,000#, 9,000#, 12,000#, 15,000#, 18,000#, ect plates.

Chris