Daily Driver

/ Daily Driver #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
After piling 43k miles on my 2012 chevy 2500, i've finally got a little beater car. It big enough to carry the junk I need each day and gets 30 mpg.

Its a 1996 Saturn wagon, auto with 182k miles. I'm totally new to Saturns, so any tips would be great.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-338211553.jpg
    image-338211553.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 128
   / Daily Driver #2  
Watch the oil closely. I have had two and they drank a qt every 600 miles. I used to joke it used more oil than gas.

Google Saturn oil consumption.

Chris

/ Daily Driver #3  
My father in law has a 99 or 2000 F250 with the 7.3 that was his daily. He loves it; however, fuel and wear on a truck he wants to keep for a long time to come he went looking as you are.

He bought a similar Saturn as what you have listed for $800, fewer miles, caveat it wasn't running. My FIL is the friggin Eli Whitney of South Arkansas so he had it running reliably and road ready for a couple of hundred more $.
He added a trailer hitch and built a lighter weight trailer to haul his dirt bike and tent around (his hobby - Enduro racing) and has been trouble free with the car since. This was two years ago he bought it and every time I ask he is still happy with it.

/ Daily Driver
Thanks guys!

Chris - i remember you saying that they drink oil, but other than that they are pretty solid. I've been checking it every other day, and so far(~300 miles) so good.

I've changed the plugs and wires and air filter so far, but plan on a transmission service, fuel filter change and oil change this weekend. Gonna check out the front end closely too.

It runs, drives, shifts really nice. One previous owner was a Saturn mechanic that left detailed service instructions in the glove box. He ran Rotella T6 in the engine, Amsoil in the transmission and Marvel Mystery Oil in each tank of fuel. I plan on doing the same.

But ... it is worlds apart from my truck. Small SUVs look huge when driving alongside them. Trucks are down right terrifying. Its all worth it though, as the truck was getting beat up on all the construction sites I visit.

/ Daily Driver #5  
why do i always get the feeling we hit a peek in great daily driver cars in the mid to late 90's.

/ Daily Driver #6  
why do i always get the feeling we hit a peek in great daily driver cars in the mid to late 90's.

Because "ALL" vehicles peaked then even tractors :)

/ Daily Driver #7  
A mid to late 90's Accord, Camry, or Maxima were some pretty awesome cars. Testimony is how many are still on the road, reliably.

/ Daily Driver #8  
I am driving a 94 toyota , 182000 and rollin along .

/ Daily Driver #9  
My 1995 Accord just returned 31mpg on it's last tank with less than half of the driving on the interstate. That's with 302k on it now.

The diesels without a doubt peaked in the 1990's.

/ Daily Driver
Seems like the 90's, vehicles had modern convenience but remained simple enough to repair. Parts are cheap, modern lubes and less wear items to maintain.

The only thing this car does not have that i would have liked is a manual transmission. The mileage and reliability would be a bit better.