Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,551  
Back in the early 1980's I pulled a 5' x 9' medium duty trailer with my Subaru and loaded it to the gills all the time. It's all I had, for starters and I didn't know any better anyway. I take care of things so 90,000 miles later it sold for a premium price. I got tired of the "Rusty Jones" rip off, switched to Toyota and am not going back. Once you go Toyota, you never go back.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,552  
Are your toys black?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,553  
California - yes, I posted that photo earlier, and several others linked the news article. bizarre.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,554  
My grandfather towed a 38' travel trailer with a 72-ish Galaxie 500, with a leveling hitch and brake controller. I don't remember if it had a 400 or 429, but I remember it didn't have a space left over under the hood you could jam your fist into, it was all occupied...dad's valiant you could almost crawl in next to the slant six and take a nap, and my brother almost had to climb into the engine bay to work on the 307 in his C10.

When he passed, my grandmother sold the galaxie to a taxi company. They had another one of the same era and said that it had about 1,000,000 miles on it, and it still wasn't burning oil.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,555  
My slant 6 valiant towed 100 of yards of concrete from the batch plant... 1 wet yard at a time!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,556  
My slant 6 valiant towed 100 of yards of concrete from the batch plant... 1 wet yard at a time!
Ah yes, the slant six. Great engine for its day.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,557  
Ah yes, the slant six. Great engine for its day.

Or great engine forever. When I worked in a garage years ago, we could tune them so smooth you could put a glass of water on the air cleaner with the engine running and barely see a ripple. I don't recall the mileage at the time but think in was well into the 20's MPG. That was astounding for the time. Great engine and would be great in a small farm vehicle today or even a winter beater or grocery getter.

I'll bet it would make a great mild street rod engine if you had the room for it's length. Probably a lot of accessories available for it too. It was a great engine and likely invented on the back of a cocktail napkin late one night. :)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,558  
One of my brother's buddies had the mopar race parts catalog...there was a factory race manifold for the slant 6 for a 4-bbl carb.

Slant or no slant, I miss straight 6's.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #6,559  
We had a couple cars and pickups with the slant-six and that was indeed a nice little engine. Very smooth, as inline-six engines are (BMW has used them extensively), and the Chrysler guys had the bright idea to tilt the engine over at an angle to save space under the hood.