SMV Sign on Trailer

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
Why do people put a SMV sign on their trailer? It drives me nuts plus it is illegal if they drive faster than 25MPH. They do make things called reflectors to make it more visible.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #2  
Around here trailers have to be registered, inspected, and have a license plate. I'm sure someone figured a SMV sign is cheaper than registration and inspection fees. Its just not legal above 25 which they probably don't realize.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer
People run a a SMV sign with a tag. Trailers have to be registered in VA and anything over 3k gross weight has to be inspected.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #4  
Then I have no idea why they would have a trailer that is tagged and has a SMV sign.
My neighbor has a small homemade trailer he tows behind his car that only has a SMV sign and no tag. I mentioned to him it isn't legal if he goes over 25. He says he doesn't when towing it.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #5  
here in Maine speed has nothing to do with it. SMV emblem is required on farm trailers and equipment regardless of speed, they are registration and inspection exempt. This only applies to farm equipment, no personal use. Of course farm plates on the tow vehicle helps if questions arrise.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #6  
I have a smv sign on my tractor but was told to remove it from the tractor when hauling it on a trailer, then it is not a slow moving vehicle.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #7  
Cant say I have ever seen that.

Only trailers I have ever seen a SMV sign on are our wood hauling trailers we tow behind the tractors. Which top out at 23MPH if behind the 8n

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #8  
:) 23 is pretty fast for an 8n with a load of wood on back. I got a couple or old n's, the gears were cut pretty tall.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer
Cant say I have ever seen that.

Only trailers I have ever seen a SMV sign on are our wood hauling trailers we tow behind the tractors. Which top out at 23MPH if behind the 8n

With a Sherman Step up?

I have a smv sign on my tractor but was told to remove it from the tractor when hauling it on a trailer, then it is not a slow moving vehicle.

I guess technically you should. I always take it off cause I don't want it blowing off.

here in Maine speed has nothing to do with it. SMV emblem is required on farm trailers and equipment regardless of speed, they are registration and inspection exempt. This only applies to farm equipment, no personal use. Of course farm plates on the tow vehicle helps if questions arrise.

People here put a SMV sing on utility trailer and woods splitters and go flying down the road. The trailers they are pulling have tags on them.