Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ??

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #1  

Ductape

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Got a trailer with some dry rot (cracking) on the sidewalls. How bad? On a scale from 1 to 10, I give em a 5. Tire tread is like new so I hate to throw the tires out. Would adding tubes add any safety margin against a failure out on the road? I'm wondering if this might get me another year or two out of the tires before replacing them. If it matters, this is on a low use 2500lb. pop-up camper.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #2  
Replace them they should be fairly cheap. And your weekend camping trip won't get ruined.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #3  
If it were me, I would get new tires. And after getting new tires, I would add blocks under the trailer frame and keep the tires off the ground when not in use. If you don't have a shed to park it under, perhaps a tarp would also help. Best wishes.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #4  
Get new tires. They will blow out and ruin your trip, and endanger you or others.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #5  
Got a trailer with some dry rot (cracking) on the sidewalls. How bad? On a scale from 1 to 10, I give em a 5. Tire tread is like new so I hate to throw the tires out. Would adding tubes add any safety margin against a failure out on the road? I'm wondering if this might get me another year or two out of the tires before replacing them. If it matters, this is on a low use 2500lb. pop-up camper.

simple checking isn't too bad.. however.. if the tires are more than 4ys old.. I'd replace them.

I had a horse trailer that had about 120m on a set of perfect looking tires.. they were unfortunately 5ys old.

as i was hauling a sick horse to the hospital.. i had a blowout getting on the interstate. was a tad difficult changing the tire on a trailer loaded with equine...

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #6  
"... had a blowout getting on the interstate. was a tad difficult changing the tire on a trailer loaded with equine...

Soundguy ... From personal experience. Get a "trailer-aid" or make a reasonable copy. I've changed tires on a loaded horse trailer in 10 minutes at the side of the road. Much safer than unloading and chancing a loose horse.

4 butts.JPGblown tire.JPG

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #7  
i've considered buying one.. but the weight ratings i have seen were way too low to be usefull to me. I could make one i guess though..

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #8  
Soundguy ... From personal experience. Get a "trailer-aid" or make a reasonable copy. I've changed tires on a loaded horse trailer in 10 minutes at the side of the road. Much safer than unloading and chancing a loose horse.

View attachment 328101View attachment 328102
I've been on TBN for 4 years and this is the first time I ever heard of a "trailer aid"!

Learn something new every day :)

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #9  
I tried tubes in Very nice treaded but slight checked side walls.. Blew out at 70 mph and wrecked the rim and fender. Not to mention how pissed they guy behind me was. messed up his truck..buy new and don't look back.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #10  
Those three big butts are only supported by a plastic "trailer-aid" under the good tire. A bunch of staggered 2x6's stacked together are a cheap and sturdy substitute. Heavy though. The plastic version is light weight & easily handled.

traileraid.jpg