Ford says no to Diesel F-150

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150
I just did a trip to Cincy last week in my father's Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4 and 3.73 gears. Me, wife, father, 2 kids, and the bed full of baby items to give to a friend.

Left Muncie on 35 to Richmond, your neck of the woods, to I70 then down through Eaton to Fairfield right by Bass Pro and back. We did 23.7 mpg.

His truck, a 2011 has averaged 18.2 mpg since new with some light towing. Its rated at 16/21 window sticker but Motor Trend is getting what he does in their tester on the long term report.

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 EcoBoost Long-Term Update 1 - Motor Trend

Chris

I can 19.2 MPG with a 5.0 Screw 4x4 and 3.73's. I could do better but the hills here hurt it. I think it may do 21 on the interstate.

That motor trend test was BS. Everyone I know with a Ecoboost is 18MPG.

I'm sure they can get that.

Most people do not, however. The fleet average on fueleconomy.gov is between 12 and 19.

In a head to head comparison done recently the GM 5.3. beat the EcoBoost in fuel economy. That was a skewed test though.

Car and Driver is really bad about that. They are pro GM.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #22  
I can 19.2 MPG with a 5.0 Screw 4x4 and 3.73's. I could do better but the hills here hurt it.

Hills have very little effect on gas mileage. For as you must go up, you must also go down. Our IH 4400 gets better mpg in the mountains than it does in the wide open flats.....

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #23  
I just did a trip to Cincy last week in my father's Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4 and 3.73 gears. Me, wife, father, 2 kids, and the bed full of baby items to give to a friend.

Left Muncie on 35 to Richmond, your neck of the woods, to I70 then down through Eaton to Fairfield right by Bass Pro and back. We did 23.7 mpg.

His truck, a 2011 has averaged 18.2 mpg since new with some light towing. Its rated at 16/21 window sticker but Motor Trend is getting what he does in their tester on the long term report.

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 EcoBoost Long-Term Update 1 - Motor Trend

Chris

That is very impressive.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #25  
Diesel in my area is pretty much even up with gas right now. I figure that will change though and they will jack up the cost soon. If Ford was getting ready to drop a smaller diesel in their half tons, the Ford lovers would be telling us how great its going to be. Everyone needs to be honest about their bias.

As far as the Ram 1500 diesel goes, time will tell.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #26  

Actually, looking at their average fuel consumption, I would have to say the new diesel from RAM should be able to best the ford by at least 3 to 4 mpg. That is a huge reduction in operating cost. It has been my experience with my own diesels ( VW and a Duramax ), that they will easily outperform the gassers in everyday use, as compared to the numbers collected in the EPA testing cycle. It will be interesting to see.

Ford is shooting for 30MPG with the 2015 F-150.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #29  
That's an 8 mpg improvement.... that's not going to happen.

7 over the 23 MPG 3.7L V6 2WD.

I would say it's not out of the question, especially with the planned weight reductions.

There is supposed to be a smaller eco boost. I was trying to find the site that listed the new engines or at least what they thought.