Ford says no to Diesel F-150

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #2  
Diesel is a tough sell with the gas engines getting so good.

Chris

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #3  
It's practical in every other country. Here it is practical to have dual drivetrain environment saving vehicles.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150
I think we have the EPA to thank for ruining the diesel engine. The oil companies probably have something to do with it to. They don't want us having anything to efficient.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #5  
Ford is likely saying no because they do not have an immediate source of a diesel engine to use in a half-ton truck. VM Motori is building the Chrysler 6 cylinder diesel, they have been building this engine since 2012. It is interesting that VM Motori is owned by Fiat and GM, each have a 50% stake in the company.

I don't agree with Ford's assumption on pay-back. Typically, diesel fuel is $.50 more per gallon in my area, given the MPG delta between the gas RAM and the projected MPG of the diesel, pay-back could be seen as early as 45,000 miles.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #6  
Ford is likely saying no because they do not have an immediate source of a diesel engine to use in a half-ton truck. VM Motori is building the Chrysler 6 cylinder diesel, they have been building this engine since 2012. It is interesting that VM Motori is owned by Fiat and GM, each have a 50% stake in the company.

I don't agree with Ford's assumption on pay-back. Typically, diesel fuel is $.50 more per gallon in my area, given the MPG delta between the gas RAM and the projected MPG of the diesel, pay-back could be seen as early as 45,000 miles.

That may be true comparison with Rams but Ford has big plans for the Eco Boost which is already doing 24 mpg in a 4x4 Crew Cab on 87 octane.

Chris

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #7  
I predict this motor will sell as well as the Hemi. In Canada it will probably outsell it by quite a margin. I can almost gaurantee that fleets will buy this as the first choice.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #8  
I don't believe you could ever get a payback from the extra cost of a diesel in a less than 1 ton truck, at least not as long as diesel is higher priced than gasoline. NOT ONLY do you have the $4-5K premium in engine cost, but about 3 times the quantity of oil, more expensive fuel filters, air filters and lets not forget the DEF that is now on USA diesels. That more than makes up for the paltry amount of extra MPG that is claimed for diesels. Gasoline engines now rival the power and fuel economy of a diesel and are good for at least 200,000 miles before major engine problems might be encountered. Unless you are pulling a load and running a hotshot delivery service averaging 100K per year in mileage, diesels don't make a lot of sense here.
(In every other country that I have been, diesel is cheaper than gasoline and all the vehicles are diesel (except the motorcycles). Some places (Peru for instance) a diesel engine and manual transmission is mandatory unless you wish to pay a double duty tax for automatic and gasoline engine. Most countries have a severe limitation on engine displacement also. While here in the good ole USA, we just insist on cramming bigger and bigger fuel guzzlers in even the smallest of cars and many if not most of those trucks with huge engines never pull or haul anything other than humans.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #9  
That may be true comparison with Rams but Ford has big plans for the Eco Boost which is already doing 24 mpg in a 4x4 Crew Cab on 87 octane.

Chris

Yes- Ford has made a huge commitment to Eco Boost development & deployment. Too bad they can't weasel a small diesel into the program.

I predict this motor will sell as well as the Hemi. In Canada it will probably outsell it by quite a margin. I can almost gaurantee that fleets will buy this as the first choice.

I sure hope so. I'd like to have the option. Would probably get me to buy my first truck.

/ Ford says no to Diesel F-150 #10  
One can talk, well type, about how they would buy a diesel all day long till they go to the dealer and see a side by side comparison of prices, then it gets to be a different ball game. Standing in the dealers lot looking at an already overpriced vehicle powered by a gasoline engine while contemplating whether or not to call for the paramedics to zap you to stabilize the heartbeat, then looking at the identical vehicle powered by a perhaps not so reliable diesel (see Ford diesel trouble with their 6.0 L Transtar engine) and the additional costs is enough to cause most buyers to need a defibrillator. Newly designed engines aren't always reliable and design faults don't always show up prior to production runs. A friend of mine just settled a claim with Ford on his diesel 6.0 engine after about 2 years of negotiation, but it took many hours of searching for documentation to prove his case that the motor was defective (he had 3 replacements within 45K miles and the truck is going in for another service now). NOT saying that all new engines will have a problem like the 6.0 Ford, BUT, if I were buying a diesel which I never would, I would never buy a brand new unproven designed one. I would have to wait a few years to see how well they held up.

Note: my friend won the arbitration with Ford and got a lifetime warranty on the engine on his truck plus about $20K in back expenses in relation to downtime/towing, etc with his truck and free loaner truck for life whenever his truck has to go in for repairs again which it is in now for check engine light and hard starting. Takes 30 seconds of starter grinding to start and Ford engineers first said that was normal till after the court ruling.