dressing up my truck

/ dressing up my truck #1  

swick1

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
Ive just paid off my 2001 Ram 2500 diesel and i want to do some body work. It has typical chrysler rust problems that were covered up when i bought it. I had planned on installing two new front fenders and having someone cut out the cab corners and rocker panels. I can get a pretty good deal on the body work but the guy doesn't have a paint booth. I thought about doing the prep work for painting and dropping it off at the body shop. I have more time than money. The bed is going to be replaced by a flatbed. Do you guys have any suggestions. I want to keep this truck for the next 10 years at least.

/ dressing up my truck #2  
Unless you have some experience, I'd save up money and let a pro do it. I've seen do it yourself body work turn out really well, but most of the time not so good.

/ dressing up my truck #3  
Do you have a local Vocational Technical Training Center in your area? The use to take in vehicles like yours for a very small fee, I had one of my cars done at one several years ago.

My daughter's fiance owns a body shop and won't shoot paint on anything he doesn't prep himself. My brother and I did some cars to resell many years ago and to do it right you need some power tools and a lot of work. After you get to a certain point you just used sanding blocks and a lot of wet sanding and so on.

/ dressing up my truck
I'll check on the votech route but I'm skeptical about the turnaround time being less than a semester. Meanwhile I'll be saving my money to get it done professionally. I wonder if i could just get linex sprayed on the rotting parts.

/ dressing up my truck #5  
You could linex or plastidip the whole truck after the body work is done.

Last edited:
   / dressing up my truck #7  
I'll check on the votech route but I'm skeptical about the turnaround time being less than a semester. Meanwhile I'll be saving my money to get it done professionally. I wonder if i could just get linex sprayed on the rotting parts.

Worth a shot, I got mine back in couple of weeks. My brother had put several cars together he had on his lot and rebuilt the engine. It was red, blue and gray before I had it painted.