My Z71 after some mod's to it......

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I bought this nearly new '13 Z71 last Memorial Day and have since had some time to do a few things to it..... First, I had a Rough Country 3.5" lift kit installed. The next thing was a set of nice chrome rims that I got off of craigslist. Then had some Falken WildPeak 285-65-18 tires mounted on them. Then I bought some stainless steel 3" step rails to make it easier to get in the cab.

The next step was to get a set of Bushwhacker pocket fender flares on order, then get them painted to match the factory paint. Had to remove the Z71 decals because the flares would partially cover them up. May order some new decals off the internet one day. The only other thing I have done to it up to this point is to order a Range V8 AFM disable module. This is a little cheater box you can get to disable the AFM on these 5.3L engines.

After I had bought the truck, I found out that the 5.3L engines had been having an oil consumption issue. Not every engine has this problem, and GMC has done some fixes for it, but there is still no solid evidence to show that the problem has been fixed in the 13 year models. From what I have read, it seem that the cylinders that have the oil consumption issue are the ones that get switched off when it's in V4 mode. The Range V8 simply disables the V4 mode fulltime, as long as it's installed in the diagnostic port. You don't get anymore HP, but it runs better and shifts smoother all the time because it never goes into V4 mode now. Hopefully, this will keep my engine from ever experiencing the oil consumption issue!

Anyway, that's about it for now. I do have a chrome bug shield sitting in the garage that I just ordered and have yet to install. After that, I might get a stainless bull bar to go on the front. Eventually, I will get a spray in bed liner, but that can wait awhile. That should about do it!!

Chevy with flares 002.jpg

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #2  
Lookin' good...Not overdone, just right.

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #3  
Were you seeing oil consumption?

Chris

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #4  
(shooting from memory) I believe there is a revised valve cover available from gm for those to correct the issue. Looked like it just had a windage tray in the revised one.

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #5  
Nevermind after 11 they come with the revised valvecover/PVC so you should be in the clear!

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #6  
We have a couple of Chrysler products that switches from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders, they call it MDS. On my Challenger I turned it off with my tuner but I was shocked at how much impact it made with my fuel mileage. I don't have an exact number but I'd put it at about 2 mpg, maybe a little more or less.

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #7  
dodge man said:
We have a couple of Chrysler products that switches from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders, they call it MDS. On my Challenger I turned it off with my tuner but I was shocked at how much impact it made with my fuel mileage. I don't have an exact number but I'd put it at about 2 mpg, maybe a little more or less.

I believe my 1978 IH loadstar idles on 4 and loads on 8 also.

Op you put pics of your truck up?

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it...... #8  
Never mind just loaded.. Looking good!

/ My Z71 after some mod's to it......
Were you seeing oil consumption?

Chris

no, truck only has 4500 miles on it. if it is going to use oil, it typically starts around 40k miles. if I understand the problem correctly, this v8 module should make sure it never does develop the early oil consumption issue. if nothing else, the module improves driveability because it always has full power and never switches down to the v4 mode.

Last edited: