heavy ramps are too heavy

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #1  

sacmarata

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 6530C, Yanmar LX490, Forson Dexta

So I got these 10' long 10,000lb ramps for my deckover trailer. I got a great deal on em at $150! Problem is, at 10' long they are too tall to mount on the back of the trailer and at 300lbs each, they are too heavy to fold up even if I did mount them on the back.

They are WAY too heavy to throw around on and off the deck. I was wondering if building a frame underneath for them to slide out the rear would work. Any suggestions?

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #2  
My ramps are not that long and slide under the deck with a simple latch to hold them in. Works well for me (I don't use my trailer every day like some).

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #3  
My trailer has slide under ramps but are only 5' long. Make sure you have free axle movement.

Chris

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #4  
Unless you actually need 10 feet of ramp to avoid high centering of some equipment, I would cut them down to the needed length (mine are 5 foot long but could use a bit longer for my Zero turn lawnmower as the deck hits if I am not on a hill or jack up the front of the trailer. My tractors load ok except the backhoe will drag a bit. I think 6 foot ramps would be better but would have to check for axle clearances as Diamondpilot mentions. 10 foot just seems way too long.

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #5  
mine are 5' and dont have an issue loading stuff on my trailer, even my bmw.

cut the 10'ers in half sell the other 5' set of ramps for $100

/ heavy ramps are too heavy
mine are 5' and dont have an issue loading stuff on my trailer, even my bmw.

cut the 10'ers in half sell the other 5' set of ramps for $100

I considered that but it does defeat the purpose. I drove 8 hours round trip for these because they are long. My trailer is high even with the dovetail and I wanna be able to load mowers and cars on this thing too. So 10 feet is about right but for them to be strong enough to hold my Branson 6530c with FEL they are heavy.
Just lookin for ideas to use what I got without break8ng my back.

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #7  

can you rig something like the pull out ramps found on the back of moving vans? then you only have to move half the weight at a time.

otherwise perhaps you can rig up bifold versions.

FELLING BI-FOLD RAMPS - Mobile.m4v - YouTube

if you run hydrulics on the first section you can manually pull out the second section as it unfolds.

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #8  
I considered that but it does defeat the purpose. I drove 8 hours round trip for these because they are long. My trailer is high even with the dovetail and I wanna be able to load mowers and cars on this thing too. So 10 feet is about right but for them to be strong enough to hold my Branson 6530c with FEL they are heavy.

You should be able to weld a couple of c-channel (open side towards each other) to form an easy storage place. Make sure to put something at the front to stop them from sliding too far. Latch is pretty simple, just a rod hanging down so it can't slide out, rod lifts up to pull them out when needed. Big challenge is if you have ten feet of open under neath that you can do this.

trailer ramps.jpg

Your challenge is finding 10' that is clear under there...

/ heavy ramps are too heavy #10  
I went through this hassle deciding which ramps to get for my 2004 Isuzu NPR stakebed (8 x 14 ft Supreme bed). The bed is about 38" high and I need 10 ft ramps with 5000 lb capacity to load my parade tractors (~4000 lb). After considering fabricating them myself out of steel using my stick welder, I decided to go with aluminum ramps from Discount Ramps.

Loading Ramps, Hauling, Transport, & Skateboard Ramp Superstore - Discount Ramps.com

Isuzu NPR ramps.JPG

These ramps weigh 49 lb each and cost $550 plus shipping. Considering the cost of steel and my time, I figure I'm ahead by buying instead of building.