Trailer Tires

/ Trailer Tires #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
1. Why does everyone recommend radial trailer tires?

2. What are some good brands to go with?

3. What brands should I stay away from?

4. Anyone heard of Trailer King tires?

/ Trailer Tires #2  
1. They handle various loads and higher pressures better due to differences in the internal construction (more and heavier belts, steel versus nylon, etc.) and the tread patterns are optimized for the use (they're not made to cut a corner unless forced to by the tow vehicle, tread patterns are not like a car tire at all). They're also generally a low rolling resistance compound and pattern.

2. No clue, I've went with whatever brand the reputable local tire guy recommends.

3. No clue, I've never had an issue with a trailer tire besides the random nail making a slow leak.

4. Sorry, no help there either.

I will look at my trailers and see what's on them and report back.

Subscribed! Good questions.

/ Trailer Tires #3  
I have had good luck with Good Year trailer specials.

Dave

/ Trailer Tires #4  
First response was perfect. I maintain about 75 trailers and hands down the best are Greenball Tow Master Radials followed by Gladiator a radials. Trailer Kings are not bad either.

Hands down the worst are Carlisle Tires followed closely by Goodyear Marathons.

Chris

/ Trailer Tires
Thanks, for the replies. I'll see what I can come up with.

/ Trailer Tires #6  
The Costco near me sells the Greenballs via special order. Good prices and good service, in my experience.

/ Trailer Tires
The Costco near me sells the Greenballs via special order. Good prices and good service, in my experience.

I saw that when I Googled the name. I may call them later today.

/ Trailer Tires #8  
<deleted text>

Hands down the worst are Carlisle Tires followed closely by Goodyear Marathons.

Chris

FYI - I bought a popup camper that had Carlisle tires on it. within 2 yrs all 3 tires (including spare) blew out - 2 blew out on one trip causing about $800 worth of damage.. When I filed a warranty claim against Carlisle they forwarded it to Goodyear for payment - since Goodyears actually made the tires for Carlisle..

brian

/ Trailer Tires #9  
FYI - I bought a popup camper that had Carlisle tires on it. within 2 yrs all 3 tires (including spare) blew out - 2 blew out on one trip causing about $800 worth of damage.. When I filed a warranty claim against Carlisle they forwarded it to Goodyear for payment - since Goodyears actually made the tires for Carlisle..

brian

Yep, been there done that. Got no where.

I bought a new tri axle trailer in November and by August the next year I had lost 4. A year later the spare blew up on its carrier.

I replaced with Greenballs and 5 years later not a single issue.

Chris

/ Trailer Tires #10  
Yup - 2 weeks ago the new Costco (Rt 1. Ffx Co) near me sold me 4 Greenball's. I did buy
metal high pressure stems elsewhere.