Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I have an '06 Tundra, and pull a light (5200# dry) 5th wheel. Coming home from this last trip confirmed my suspicions, it's not really something I want to count on for long hauls. Sooooo I am looking to upgrade my truck. New is out of the question, and it will be a diesel.

I believe a 3/4T will be more than sufficient, with the diesel, for my desires. Someday we might upgrade the trailer, but nothing the 3/4 would not handle.

I am not stuck on one brand, but would like honest opinions of the years 2005-2010 3/4T diesel trucks. I am kinda partial to the looks of the Ford or GM, but I know the Cummins has a great reputation for good fuel mileage and power.

Is there any year, of either of these three brands I should avoid? I know the Ford 6.0 had troubles, but those supposedly can be cured, but I really only would want one that was already "cured". Any Cummins or Duramax issues to be wary of? Since I will be buying used, is there a certain mileage that any of them start having big problems?

A lot of questions, I know, and appreciate any help I can get. I am just starting to do this research.

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #2  
I would only get a 06 or later Ford. They had the issues solved on the 6.0 for the most part but still the bad reputation followed. They went to coil front suspension which rides much nicer and turns 18 deg sharper. Get one with the factory brake controller, hands down the best you will ever use. Dont rule out a F350 SRW. I have one, a 06, and love it.

In the GM get a late 06 LBZ or later. The big issue with GM trucks in my eyes is the low GVWR, either 8800 or 9200#. With a cab full it does not leave much. The fit and finish is also not as good in my eyes but they made progress in the 2012's and later.

Chris

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues
OK thanks. Very easy to switch to '06 and up. How is the ride on the 350 (3500) compared to the 250-3500? Not interested in dualies at all. What is the SRW?

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #4  
06 through 08 was when Ford was making a huge push for quality above all else. Their products from these years were among the best in my opinion. That being said, all the newer 2005+ diesel pickups have been pretty danged reliable...

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #5  
OK thanks. Very easy to switch to '06 and up. How is the ride on the 350 (3500) compared to the 250-3500? Not interested in dualies at all. What is the SRW?

I have had 6 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The SRW (single rear wheel) trucks ride the same. I had one dually, a GM and it was awful. One Dodge 2500, and a Ford F250. I have had two F350's that were SRW and a GM 3500 SRW.

By far the best trucks were the 99 and 06 F350 SRW trucks but the ride on the 06 is much better. The 05 3500 SRW Dmax had about the same ride.

Chris

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues
OK got the SRW (duh), yea no interest in duallies anyway.

Thanks on the ride info. When did GM go to the 6 spd Allison?

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #7  
Disclaimer... I do not have the experience that some on this board have, my knowledge of diesels comes from research and mostly opinions I have heard from others.

That said, I would try to find a lower mileage '06 or early '07 before the extra emissions crap was added. With it came lower fuel mileage and (potentially) reliability issues that may have not been worked out early in the game. It seems they may have gotten it together now though.

Personally, in those years I would be looking for a cummins, but the right deal from any of the three would not get turned down. I was actually contemplating a low mileage '05 ford with the dreaded 6.0 because it was a friend and could have gotten a great deal. Most of the "fixes" I have read about i could do myself, especially since the miles were low enough to hopefully catch it before anything happened. I was on the fence and another friend was quicker to jump on it. :(

Anyway good luck! Any truck you buy can turn out to be great... or terrible. I don't think any of the manufacturers are consistently one way or the other.

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #8  
I would try to find a lower mileage '06 or early '07 before the extra emissions crap was added.

One of my brothers had an '08 F550 and I guess it was kind of like boat ownership where the two happiest days of your life are when you get it and when you get rid of it. He really liked that truck for awhile, but became thoroughly disgusted with it spending so much time at dealers. I think nearly all his troubles were related to the emissions stuff.

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #9  
OK got the SRW (duh), yea no interest in duallies anyway.

Thanks on the ride info. When did GM go to the 6 spd Allison?

In mid 06 with the LBZ.

Chris

/ Would like honest suggestions about tow vehicle issues #10  
I have had great luck with my ford 7.3 powerstroke diesels... all have over 200k miles and perform well loaded or empty. Resonable fuel mileage in all situations and haul everything I ask them too. My f250 ext cab short bed is my favorite as it has a manual trans. Wife and I both like the excursion for hauling kids as her daily driver.

I would skip the 6.0 and look at the '08-later 6.4 powerstrokes. Most of the 6.0 issues are solved and they seem to have a good reputation. That's what I will be looking for in a few years.