Trailer brakeaway kit

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #1  

seal oil

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 mahindra 3316 shuttle tlb
I was going to replace the brakeaway battery system on my trailer . Princess Auto has one on their website that looks to be similiar to it , item #8506289 but it isn't carried at the store here . They have got one called an Engager brakeaway system item #8002177 but I am not sure if it will work as good or better than my old one . My trailer is a flat deck car hauler with brakes on one axel . I might put brakes on both axels later . The axel has the flange on the hubs so it looks to be easy to do . Will the Engager brakeaway system work as well as the other ? It is more expensive $64.99 vs the other $29.99 . I am 200 miles from the Princess Auto store and any other store that sells trailer parts so just drop in and looking at it isn't easy because of my work schedule . Barry.

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #2  
I thought they all worked about the same. Wire it up & when the (pin ?) is pulled out of the switch, 12 volts is delivered to the trailer brakes

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #3  
This is the Engager that came on my Sundowner horse trailer. I like that I can check the battery status. $39.99 from Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=620100&gclid=CJ3r-qGkuLoCFfFj7Aodii4Akw

100_0947.JPG

100_0948.JPG

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #4  
E-Trailer.com has lots of good info on the breakaway kits they sell, including the Engager. They are all pretty much the same functionally. Like Kenmac said, pull the pin, the brakes go full on. I bought just the switch with the pin and cable for my teardrop camper, it already has a battery on board that I'll use for power. Much bigger battery than required to meet the legal requirement.
If your battery is bad, just replace that. If the switch is bad, replace that. If everything is bad, then you'll need the whole setup.

/ Trailer brakeaway kit
I got the engager at princess auto . When I opened the box the battery needed to be charged so I desided to charge it before putting it on the trailer . It has been hooked up to my battery tender since yesterday and still no green light so I guess I got one with a bad battery .

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #6  
Two features that I think differentiate some break-away controllers from others are the ability to recharge from the vehicle's 12 supply, and a test button to show the charge level. The former feature isn't useful to you if your vehicle's trailer connector doesn't have a 12-volt pin, which not all of them do.

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #7  
I got the engager at princess auto . When I opened the box the battery needed to be charged so I desided to charge it before putting it on the trailer . It has been hooked up to my battery tender since yesterday and still no green light so I guess I got one with a bad battery .

I have had a battery tender take a few days to charge a low battery. Depends on the size of the battery and the amperage of the charger. Don't give up! Or, heck, it's a new product--just take it back and get a new one!

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #8  
I have had a battery tender take a few days to charge a low battery. Depends on the size of the battery and the amperage of the charger. Don't give up! Or, heck, it's a new product--just take it back and get a new one!

If the battery is real low, the tender may not charge it... some folks have had some luck putting a good battery in parallel with the low one and hooking the charger/tender to both of them...

/ Trailer brakeaway kit #9  
On the engager breakaway system the yellow light stays lit when it is charging. You have to press the status button to see if the the battery is charged and therefore green. Just thought I would throw that out there as I originally thought I had a bad unit because it always said charging

Last edited:
   / Trailer brakeaway kit #10  
On the engager breakaway system the yellow light stays lit when it is charging. You have to press the status button to see if the the battery is charged and therefore green. Just thought I would throw that out there as I originally thought I had a bad unit because it always said charging

Exactly. Mine is connected to the onboard battery and always shows yellow until I press the button as the pics show. The other thing I found if I was charging the main battery neither of my auto battery tenders would go into desulfinate mode with the trailer brake battery connected. The main connection at the battery is a ring terminal with a wingnut and screw so disconnecting it from the circuit is easy.