Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2010 mahindra 3316 shuttle tlb

Default Trailer brakeaway kit

I was going to replace the brakeaway battery system on my trailer . Princess Auto has one on their website that looks to be similiar to it , item #8506289 but it isn't carried at the store here . They have got one called an Engager brakeaway system item #8002177 but I am not sure if it will work as good or better than my old one . My trailer is a flat deck car hauler with brakes on one axel . I might put brakes on both axels later . The axel has the flange on the hubs so it looks to be easy to do . Will the Engager brakeaway system work as well as the other ? It is more expensive $64.99 vs the other $29.99 . I am 200 miles from the Princess Auto store and any other store that sells trailer parts so just drop in and looking at it isn't easy because of my work schedule . Barry.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Default Re: Trailer brakeaway kit

I thought they all worked about the same. Wire it up & when the (pin ?) is pulled out of the switch, 12 volts is delivered to the trailer brakes
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

This is the Engager that came on my Sundowner horse trailer. I like that I can check the battery status. $39.99 from Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FfFj7Aodii4Akw

Trailer brakeaway kit-100_0947.jpg

Trailer brakeaway kit-100_0948.jpg
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

E-Trailer.com has lots of good info on the breakaway kits they sell, including the Engager. They are all pretty much the same functionally. Like Kenmac said, pull the pin, the brakes go full on. I bought just the switch with the pin and cable for my teardrop camper, it already has a battery on board that I'll use for power. Much bigger battery than required to meet the legal requirement.
    If your battery is bad, just replace that. If the switch is bad, replace that. If everything is bad, then you'll need the whole setup.

Tractor
    2010 mahindra 3316 shuttle tlb

I got the engager at princess auto . When I opened the box the battery needed to be charged so I desided to charge it before putting it on the trailer . It has been hooked up to my battery tender since yesterday and still no green light so I guess I got one with a bad battery .

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Two features that I think differentiate some break-away controllers from others are the ability to recharge from the vehicle's 12 supply, and a test button to show the charge level. The former feature isn't useful to you if your vehicle's trailer connector doesn't have a 12-volt pin, which not all of them do.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by seal oil View Post
    I got the engager at princess auto . When I opened the box the battery needed to be charged so I desided to charge it before putting it on the trailer . It has been hooked up to my battery tender since yesterday and still no green light so I guess I got one with a bad battery .
    I have had a battery tender take a few days to charge a low battery. Depends on the size of the battery and the amperage of the charger. Don't give up! Or, heck, it's a new product--just take it back and get a new one!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    I have had a battery tender take a few days to charge a low battery. Depends on the size of the battery and the amperage of the charger. Don't give up! Or, heck, it's a new product--just take it back and get a new one!
    If the battery is real low, the tender may not charge it... some folks have had some luck putting a good battery in parallel with the low one and hooking the charger/tender to both of them...
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD

Tractor
    Yanmar 2020D

On the engager breakaway system the yellow light stays lit when it is charging. You have to press the status button to see if the the battery is charged and therefore green. Just thought I would throw that out there as I originally thought I had a bad unit because it always said charging
    Last edited by Scotty Dive; 11-11-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    Thanks,

Scotty Dive
    Yanmar YM2020D "Git er Done Too"
    Pictures! http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=dfc00199.pbw
    Yanmar Tractor Database - Click Link, then click file and download the excel file.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxR...it?usp=sharing

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Dive View Post
    On the engager breakaway system the yellow light stays lit when it is charging. You have to press the status button to see if the the battery is charged and therefore green. Just thought I would throw that out there as I originally thought I had a bad unit because it always said charging
    Exactly. Mine is connected to the onboard battery and always shows yellow until I press the button as the pics show. The other thing I found if I was charging the main battery neither of my auto battery tenders would go into desulfinate mode with the trailer brake battery connected. The main connection at the battery is a ring terminal with a wingnut and screw so disconnecting it from the circuit is easy.
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast