F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost

/ F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost
A new Eco Boost is a night and day difference from your 5.4 truck. The EB F150 is about as much truck as a gas 2004 F250 if you want to look at it that way. You do not need a diesel. You may want one and that's fine but gas is all you need. Chris

We run several F550 diesel trucks heavily loaded at work. After watching the many and often diesel engine related issues, I have no interest in a diesel. I have been watching the Ecoboost for awhile now and for the number on the road now there doesn't seem to be any widespread failures. I continue to wonder how it will hold up at 8-10 years and 200,000 miles plus. My current 2004 has around 140,000 and has had no major issues.

/ F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost #12  
If you are going to wait a year the 2015 F150 should be out. Hard to tell what it might be.

A new Eco Boost is a night and day difference from your 5.4 truck. The EB F150 is about as much truck as a gas 2004 F250 if you want to look at it that way.

You do not need a diesel. You may want one and that's fine but gas is all you need.

Chris

The thing that sucks about a gas F250 is you don't gain much towing capacity over a Ecoboost F150.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TractorByNet

/ F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost #13  
Being an ecoboost owner, i would recommend getting something with the proper capacity to tow what you tow regardless of the frequency unless you are making a short local trip under 30 mph. The 3.5 liter engine is up to the task the rest of the truck is a judgment call. Your question shouldn't be engine related but rather which class of truck.

This is definitely a down the road purchase unless my current ride begins to become problematic. I feel the fuel mileage is a non-issue as it is not terrific now. Gut feeling says go with the 250 and be covered. Never know if future will lead to cab tractor, heavier loads, hunt lease further away, goose neck trailer, travel trailer, etc...

Guy I purchased current truck from had purchased a 5th wheel camper and towed some with this truck. When lease was up I bought it and he went to a F250 with the 5.4 V8. He has held on to this one past his lease end. Seems to me if the running gear can handle the extra stress and strain and higher tow rating of the high torque diesel it should last that much longer with the gas engine??

/ F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost #15  
It is always good to think ahead.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TractorByNet

/ F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost #16  
Seems to me if the running gear can handle the extra stress and strain and higher tow rating of the high torque diesel it should last that much longer with the gas engine??

Not sure about nowadays, but in the past the running gear would be beefier in a diesel vs. gas (unless v10) even in the same truck.

Not sure about nowadays, but in the past the running gear would be beefier in a diesel vs. gas (unless v10) even in the same truck.
Since this 6.2 V8 replaced the V10, are you implying that the transmission, rear end and brakes are different pending which motor is chosen?

/ F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost #18  
I'll be honest, I can't even speak for ford necessarily. I know dodge used to put a beefier trans, rearend, and front suspension on the diesels and v10's then the v8's.

I guess the reason I brought it up was just to warn you not to assume that because it's a 2500 or 3500 that it has the same diesel drivetrain... find out for sure.

I'll be honest, I can't even speak for ford necessarily. I know dodge used to put a beefier trans, rearend, and front suspension on the diesels and v10's then the v8's. I guess the reason I brought it up was just to warn you not to assume that because it's a 2500 or 3500 that it has the same diesel drivetrain... find out for sure.

Got a friend that runs the shop at local Ford dealership. Messaged him and he too thought they were different. Said he would have to run a VIN to make certain, but thought the engine choice determined the drivetrain components. I ASSUMED they would keep it simple and keep them the same.

/ F250 6.2 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost #20  
Took the liberty to look at the 2014 Ford Towing Specifications. Below are the maximum capacities possible with the configurations shown below. Please note these are maximums and are heavily dependent on cab style, wheelbase, 4x2 vs 4x4, gear ratio, etc. (One must really be careful how the truck is configured with the F150 to achieve these values)

2014 Ford Max Towing.jpg

Link to F150 Specifications: 2014 Ford F-150 | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com

The newer F150 with the "Heavy Duty Payload Package" seems to be very capable from "Fords" perspective.