Camming a tbi 350

/ Camming a tbi 350 #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
One of my favorite body styles is the 89-96 Chevy trucks. I really like the 454SS but the pickings for decent ones, unmodified, are slim. I would like a reg cab sb with a 350, 5 speed if possible. I have built a few carbed small block chevys but never messed with one with tbi. When I find one, I plan to pull the motor, freshen the bottom end, have the heads worked and put in a cam and headers. Edelbrock makes a tbi intake as I would like to stay with the tbi. How does one go about adding a performance cam to a computer controlled engine with tbi? I like 290 or so duration, .480-.500 lift, hydraulic. This might be too big though not sure.

/ Camming a tbi 350 #2  
why not go with a newer vortec engine? The vortec heads are very sought-after heads for older 350's, and they come with roller cam and lifter from the factory?

/ Camming a tbi 350 #3  
that's a lot of lift. if you stick around 270 duration I think it'll run much better. holley used to make a larger bolt on throttle body, im not sure if its still available.on the 87-90 tbi units you could turn up the fuel pressure regulator. not much but maybe 1-2 psi

/ Camming a tbi 350
mikehaugen said:
why not go with a newer vortec engine? The vortec heads are very sought-after heads for older 350's, and they come with roller cam and lifter from the factory?

I find the tbi motors easier to work on. However, I have not ruled the 96 vortec 350 out.

/ Camming a tbi 350
nickc said:
that's a lot of lift. if you stick around 270 duration I think it'll run much better. holley used to make a larger bolt on throttle body, im not sure if its still available.on the 87-90 tbi units you could turn up the fuel pressure regulator. not much but maybe 1-2 psi

I tend to build my motors around the cam, meaning I will make sure the bottom end and heads can support the cam. Iirc, the tbi heads were weak. I have a set of Eagle heads from a previous build I may use. I am hoping I can get the tbi and computer to work with the upgrades.

/ Camming a tbi 350 #6  
you probably know this already, but tbi intakes don't fit all small block heads canted bolts in the center.

/ Camming a tbi 350
nickc said:
you probably know this already, but tbi intakes don't fit all small block heads canted bolts in the center.

Actually having never built a tbi motor, I did not. Thanks!

/ Camming a tbi 350
nickc said:

I should have said earlier, I have the cam new in the box from a previous build that did not get finished due to a friend buying the block from me for his bracket car. It is a lunati, iirc either 280 or 290 duration, .480 lift. I just finished my 70 chevelle, just waiting for paint. Looking for another project, always wanted a quick truck. Trying to do it cheaper, using parts I already have.

/ Camming a tbi 350 #9  
I think edelbrock makes a tbi intake that will fit early / aftermarket heads, but the stock intake & heads cant support a cam that big. I think it would be more cost effective to just get a smaller cam. I had an 87 chevy tbi 350 with headers, holley t-body, & big air filter, by no means was it fast or a powerhouse, but a great runner. imho that was the best truck engine gm ever used or maybe a 454 tbi. have fun building it.