Securing tractor to trailer?

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #1  

MDSteve

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3710
Everyone,
I finaly got the OK to pick up a trailer. What is the best way to secure it to the trailer? Chains? Straps? Where on the tractor do I hook them up to? Any accessories that would help? The tractor is a Kubota L3710 with loader. The trailer is a 20' Deckover tilt trailer. I will be ordering the trailer because over the last 3 years I have not found any trailers used in usable condition. The trailer is more than I need but I don't want to deal with ramps and a deckover is easier to load/unload pallets from the side with a fork lift.

Steve

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #2  
I haul my tractor often and feel more secure with chains. I am always concerned the straps will wear on something.

Mark

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #3  
I'll use either chains or straps depending on the access. My FEL front brackets provide a great place for my strap hooks but not much for chain hooks to grab. On the back, a chain through a drawbar clevis is easy and solid. If my rotary cutter is on though, I'm usually back to straps for the rear to avoid unnecessary scratching of the deck.

Your best bet is to have a reasonable collection of both and use whatever works best at the time. Either will hold the tractor if secured properly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #4  
I agree with Mark. For the high cost of a tractor good chains and tensioners are cheap insurance against loss. Harbor freight has them at a reasonable cost. And no I don't own stock in the company but they do know me on a first name basis there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #6  
I always keep a roll of duct tape with me to secure the loose ends and if I use a nylon strap, I also tape the end closest to the buckle...... it helps to keep it secured and a pen knife to get it apart is also required. Just one more used for duct tape..... America's first universal tool.......

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #7  
Save yourself money and start with chains. I started with straps. Worked great for about a year and 2 of them started wearing through. So now I use chains and binders. Won't have to worry about them wearing out.

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #8  
BigRazor that sounds like good sound advice to me.

Mike

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #9  
On the Kubota my dealer showed me to put the front chain through the tube on the FEL just above the bucket. The rear chain goes through a clevis hook put in the hole in the drawbar. All are tensioned with a binder, then I wrap the chain slack around the handle of the binder and tie it into an overhand knot over the handle. I tow the tractor frequently and this has worked very well for me over the years.

/ Securing tractor to trailer? #10  
I, too, started with straps and switched to chains after I noticed them fraying. It was where it rubbed on something. If you could guarantee that the straps wouldn't rub anything you would be OK. I suppose that would be a good reason to add more tie down spots on the trailer, so that you could strap down without going over something that could cause wear.