RAM 3500 Question

/ RAM 3500 Question #1  

Daves3032E

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3032E
I currently have an '08 Dakota with about 135k on it. We average about 23k/yr. I use it to tote my tractor around and to haul firewood.

I saw a 2010 RAM 3500 SRW Crew Cab Laramie for $25k at one of my local dealers. Only "issue" is that it has 235k on it. The only experience I have with diesels is my 2013 3032e and the last "big" truck I had was a '78 F350 dually with a 12ft stake bed (302ci) around 2000. Do you guys think that this truck would have plenty of life left in it with the mileage I run at?

Here is the dealer listing: Canandaigua Chrysler Dodge Jeep | New Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram dealership in Canandaigua, NY 14424

I'm going to check it out tonight and see how I like it. I look forward to everyone helping to educate me on this.

Here is my current set up:

IMAG2800.jpg

/ RAM 3500 Question #2  
Its a good looking truck and from the picture you show, it would be a big step up for your towing and hauling. I'm guessing the Dakota is overworked a little bit by your picture.

Most of my knowledge is the older 5.9 Cummins. I know in 2010 they had DPF and EGR and those can be a problem area. I don't know when these problems pop up or how to even look for them. I know the injectors are considered better on the 6.7, but at those miles, its either had injectors put in it or will need them soon.

That doesn't seem like a bad price and I know the 6.7 is a strong running engine. The engine itself will go 500,000 miles if its taken care of.

/ RAM 3500 Question #3  
Seems kind of high to me.

The drive train probably wouldn't bother me at that mileage but its likely that everything else is ready to start falling off the truck.

/ RAM 3500 Question #4  
Its a good looking truck and from the picture you show, it would be a big step up for your towing and hauling. I'm guessing the Dakota is overworked a little bit by your picture. Most of my knowledge is the older 5.9 Cummins. I know in 2010 they had DPF and EGR and those can be a problem area. I don't know when these problems pop up or how to even look for them. I know the injectors are considered better on the 6.7, but at those miles, its either had injectors put in it or will need them soon. That doesn't seem like a bad price and I know the 6.7 is a strong running engine. The engine itself will go 500,000 miles if its taken care of.

2010's is supposed to be the year they had all the bugs worked out of the dpf egr system. I had a 2010 never had any issues. I would still have it if I didn't need to step up to a long bed for work. I have a 2012 ram CTD now same emissions setup right at 40,000 miles now with no issues. If you want to stay away from the DEF fluid stay away from 2013 or newer.

To the OP I think that price is high the 2010 I bought had 17,000 miles on it I bought it in 2010 for $29,000 and some change out the door.

/ RAM 3500 Question
2010's is supposed to be the year they had all the bugs worked out of the dpf egr system. I had a 2010 never had any issues. I would still have it if I didn't need to step up to a long bed for work. I have a 2012 ram CTD now same emissions setup right at 40,000 miles now with no issues. If you want to stay away from the DEF fluid stay away from 2013 or newer.

To the OP I think that price is high the 2010 I bought had 17,000 miles on it I bought it in 2010 for $29,000 and some change out the door.
I wish I could find one under $30k and less than 50,000 on it. I would be all over it.

/ RAM 3500 Question #6  
I would not touch it. The motor has life but that truck is about done and will nickel and dime you to death.

Chris

/ RAM 3500 Question #7  
It all depends on what kind of maintenance was done on it in those 200,000+++ miles. I have a 97 Dodge CTD 2500, 5 speed, 4x4 with 250,000+ miles that I wouldn't hesitate to go across the country with. I've also got an 05 Dodge CTD 3500, 6 speed, 4x4, with 230,000 miles that I bought last year. I've spent quite a bit getting it back in shape, and have a little ways to go. It's a crap shoot, but I'd look for something with less experience, or talk them down on the price. If the front end has to be rebuilt, expect to spend close to $4000 on that.

/ RAM 3500 Question
I checked out out and test drove it. My wife too. It went really nice. I liked it a lot. I guess the guy used it to transport cattle.

/ RAM 3500 Question #9  
That is a darn clean looking truck for 235K miles!

Odd that it has the factory brake controller and an aftermarket controller, and even odder that the aftermarket controller is mounted wrong (can't easily pinch the lever).

/ RAM 3500 Question
That is a darn clean looking truck for 235K miles!

Odd that it has the factory brake controller and an aftermarket controller, and even odder that the aftermarket controller is mounted wrong (can't easily pinch the lever).

I thought the same thing about the controller. I asked the guy at the dealer, but he was puzzled by it as well. Is the factory one the time delay type and the other a progressive???