Increasing capacity of a trailer

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #1  

oleman

I want to increase the carrying capacity of my tractor hauler.
This is a factory made 16' car hauler trailer. I added 600 more pounds of steel too it that significantly increases the frame structure.
Currently it has 2 EA 3500# axles, with electric braking on the rear axle only.
I can install another 3500# el braking axle for a 3 axle setup at 3500# each which will spread the load over more of the frame and make it a more stable hauler except on tight turns.
This mod would give it 10500 capacity on the ground with 2 axles braking.
The advantage of another 3500 is all the wheels and tires and brakes will be the same.
I could change out one of the 3500 axles for a 5000 braking axle, giving it 8000# at the wheel.
OR add a 5000# axle with braking making it 3 axles with 12000 at the ground.
The 3500 and 5000 axles are essentially the same dimensions and would be an easy fit.
A more costly option would be 2 new 5000#/ 7500 axles with brakes.
My currently thinking to get the 10,000 gross I want is 3 ea 3500# axles.
The cheap way out.
Any trailer modification experts out there?
This is in Texas registered as a farm trailer, legally it can be any thing I want it to be.

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #2  
Can you get away with 4 axles @ 3500# ea would give you 14,000lbs minus the empty weight of the trailer would give you a payload of 10,000# +/-

I just found this, does it apply to you?

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 4,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection.

https://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

Another thought. IF you increase the capacity of your trailer, will you need to get it inspected for the increased weight? As well as the annual safety?

Last edited:
   / Increasing capacity of a trailer #3  
Can you get away with 4 axles @ 3500# ea would give you 14,000lbs minus the empty weight of the trailer would give you a payload of 10,000# +/-

I just found this, does it apply to you?

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 4,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection.

https://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers
I would hope its gross weight does not exceed 4000 lbs its a 7000 lb 16' car hauler not much good if it can only haul 2500 lbs what car would it haul?

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #4  
Some states require all trailers above a certain weight to have brakes on all axles.

If you have a 5000lb axle and a 3500lb axle, how will you arrange to have the 5000lb axle carry more weight?

I would go with two 5000lb axles and sell the old axles on CL to recover part of the cost.

Bruce

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #5  
I would sell it and buy a heavier duty trailer but since you have already added the steel you probably won't do that. 2nd option I would do is put two 5k lb axles on it and sell the two you have now. With a 3rd axle on a trailer that short you would need to cut off the first two and re space all three . it also would be harder to turn with the tires sliding sideways as you turn. It would look funny too with 3 axles.

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #7  
I did the same thing you did . Even extended my trailer. It is now 20 ft. I bought 2 new 5200# axles and installed 235x85x16 tires. I think the axle place told me this combo is now rated at 12K. I can say that the springs no longer bottom out when I have my tractor on the trailer

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #8  
Some states require all trailers above a certain weight to have brakes on all axles.

If you have a 5000lb axle and a 3500lb axle, how will you arrange to have the 5000lb axle carry more weight?

I would go with two 5000lb axles and sell the old axles on CL to recover part of the cost.

Bruce

This is the best option but go for 6000# axles, 5 new wheels, and 5 new load range E radial trailer tires.

You see where I am going. Sell your current trailer and buy a new one. Used trailers sell good.

Chris

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #9  
The best option is to buy 7000 pound axles and be done .

There not that high without or with brakes .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TractorByNet

/ Increasing capacity of a trailer #10  
The best thing to do would be buy a 10k trailer.