7.5016 What To Do

/ 7.5016 What To Do #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
I have to replace the 6 tires on a Chevy C30 dually that we only use 1-2,000 miles per year.
They are currently tube-type with the retainer rings. The wheels are in good shape. The current tires are 7.50X16 bias. The truck is solid good condition.
What to do without spending more than the truck is worth?
I think my cheapest option is to keep my rims and install new 7.50X16's with tubes in them. Is that an OK route to take?
I have looked in wrecking yards for tubeless dually rims but I'm having a hard time. I think I need rims that are pre-2000 that have 9/16" bolt holes. Every wheel I've located so far has 5/8" bolt holes, probably from later years.
I can buy new steel wheels (Accuride) with the proper bolt pattern and hole sizes but they are over $100 each.

I see Greenball makes a bias truck tire in 7.50 size LR E for a little over $100 each. New Greenball Hiway Master 7 50 16 10pr TL BSW Tires | eBay Anyone have experience with Greenball tires on a truck?
Equivalent size new radials in name brand would probably run $150-$200+ each. It would be nice to find some correct rims with good used tires on them, but it may be wishful thinking. In the meantime I think I'll keep looking for proper used rims; I shouldn't use the ones with 1/16" oversize stud holes, even though the hub pilot is correct, right? I can get 6 of them for $150.

/ 7.5016 What To Do #2  
You can drill out the hubs and install the larger studs. You will have the expense of the studs and nuts. If you decide to keep your wheels will your tire shop even mount them? Some will not mount split rims. Some center pilot, some are stud pilot. Tapered hole is stud pilot. I went through this a couple years ago and found there are many different wheels available. You might also get a decent deal on a used rear end with wheels. Might even have usable tires.

/ 7.5016 What To Do #3  
I would pass on the bias tires and bite the bullet and do wheels and tires if you plan on keeping your truck.

Chris

/ 7.5016 What To Do #4  
Why not just put tubes in a modern 235/85R16 tire (same size as a 7.50-16) on your current rims? There is nothing wrong with split rims if they are handled by a competent tire person. I have split rims on a C60 chevy and an old F-350, never had any trouble with them. In fact, I actually like them for the ease of changing tires.

/ 7.5016 What To Do
Why not just put tubes in a modern 235/85R16 tire (same size as a 7.50-16) on your current rims? There is nothing wrong with split rims if they are handled by a competent tire person. I have split rims on a C60 chevy and an old F-350, never had any trouble with them. In fact, I actually like them for the ease of changing tires.
I like that idea, since it will give me radials and a lot more brands and dealers to choose from. Do you think the 235's might rub against each other on the back duals? My rims are 6" wide. I believe 235's call for 6" to 7" rim. If they don't rub I think it will look nice and I'll have quite a bit more load capacity since they will be LR E, just as tall as a 7.50 but a little wider. If they rub I would have to use 215's which would still give me adequate load capacity, same as 7.50 LR D.

The 235's will be the same height but a little wider than 7.50's since an old 7.50 is 100 profile whereas a 235 will be 85 profile.

Should I buy new tubes? 5 out of 6 on the truck are original (50 years old). The flaps will probably be OK, right? Thanks for helping.

/ 7.5016 What To Do #6  
If the tubes are that old go with new and the E rated radials. How much gap is there between the current 7.50's? If over 3/4"-1" I doubt 235's will rub or touch each other.

/ 7.5016 What To Do #7  
The 235/85R16's will be a touch wider but they should be fine. They were designed as the new metric replacement size for 7.50-16's. I would put new tubes in all the way around.