1 week service?

/ 1 week service? #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
Got a new F250 gasser 8 days ago. Yesterday I received an email from the dealer informing me of a service appointment this coming week. At 1 PM on a weekday. I replied to them that I did not schedule any service and that I would not be coming, as the dealer is an hour from the house.
They replied that the salesman set it up during the sale, they must have not communicated it to me, etc. etc. I replied basically with the same answer. I told them that a one week old truck with 400 miles on it shouldn't need any service and that I wasn't shutting my business down for a day to drive down & back for whatever "service" this was. I also told them that regular services would be performed at or before the factory recommended intervals. Again, in my area. Not an hour's drive away.
I've owned many, many new Fords in my life and this is a first. Is this something new for 2014 or is this dealer just confused? I'll take a look in the manual, but in the meantime I just wondered if anyone else had this experience with a new Ford.
Edit: The manual shows a check of oil, all interior/exterior lights, tires and washer fluid every month as the first maintenance of any sort. The first scheduled is at 6 months. Hinges, latches & locks. Parking brake. Safety belts. Warning lamps (brake, ABS, etc.), Washer & wiper. The first "Normal Scheduled Maintenance" is the oil/filter at 7500 miles. Tire rotation & multi point inspection also at this interval. Sorry Mr. Dealer, you aren't wasting my day.

Last edited:
   / 1 week service? #2  
You were smart to check your manual and there is not any real service needed after a week. I have driven and owned Ford trucks for going on 45 years and because of their generally aggressive attitude stay away from the dealerships. I have a local mechanic I work with if necessary and perform all minor maintenance myself.

/ 1 week service? #3  
If he set it up at the sale it sounds like he knew something wasn't right/needed to be added etc and would take a week to get it. I would call the salesman, I seriously doubt he scheduled routine maintenance at time of sale.

/ 1 week service? #4  
I think it's a over zealous salesman. Either he made a mistake with the date or he gets commission every time a vehicle he sold rolls into a service bay.

Chris

/ 1 week service?
I think it's a over zealous salesman. Either he made a mistake with the date or he gets commission every time a vehicle he sold rolls into a service bay.

Chris

Either way, he neglected to mention it to me. Young guy, nice enough kid. But as usual he was just a go between to the sales manager - who was my salesman when I bought a new 2010 there.

You were smart to check your manual and there is not any real service needed after a week. I have driven and owned Ford trucks for going on 45 years and because of their generally aggressive attitude stay away from the dealerships. I have a local mechanic I work with if necessary and perform all minor maintenance myself.

Well, 45 years would make me 6 years old back then, but I've got well over 20 years of owning/buying them. :laughing: I count 10 new ones since 1993. Maybe 11 counting this 2014. At any rate, they're not seeing this truck unless some other issue crops up while under warranty.

/ 1 week service? #7  
You didn't mention if it was an absolutely FREE to you service or your cost.

Either way it smells like somebody needed their wallet refilled.

/ 1 week service?
You didn't mention if it was an absolutely FREE to you service or your cost.

Either way it smells like somebody needed their wallet refilled.

No charge. But after the 2nd email explaining that it wasn't going to happen and why it wasn't going to happen, silence from the other end. That's just fine with me.

/ 1 week service? #9  
No charge. But after the 2nd email explaining that it wasn't going to happen and why it wasn't going to happen, silence from the other end. That's just fine with me.
Sometimes Dealers get income from the mfg for performing warranty work.

/ 1 week service? #10  
Either way, he neglected to mention it to me. Young guy, nice enough kid. But as usual he was just a go between to the sales manager - who was my salesman when I bought a new 2010 there. Well, 45 years would make me 6 years old back then, but I've got well over 20 years of owning/buying them. :laughing: I count 10 new ones since 1993. Maybe 11 counting this 2014. At any rate, they're not seeing this truck unless some other issue crops up while under warranty.
That wears me out, the go between, I don't deal with them, I either deal direct with the owner or manager, don't know about where everybody else is from, but it can still be done around where I live. Don't matter which dealership! Good thing your aware, most people would have drove a hour just to see what's up, I figure like Chris said, salesman was fishing for a little more change in his pocket! But They still should have mentioned something! LUTT