Sticker shock....!!!

/ Sticker shock....!!! #111  
I take it that you've never had an ignition control module go bad. They don't last anywhere near the life of the vehicle. If you've looked under the hood of the newer cars you'll see most have engine covers to hide the nightmare lurking underneath. Snap On makes millions of dollars selling the specialty tools required to install those new electronic parts. Without those tools, good luck. Most of my friends make a living working on cars and trucks. They spend a fortune buying those tools. They get pretty greasy too. Not trying to argue with you, but you'll find out when the new wears off and things start to break.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #112  
Technology can retire some vehicles way before their time...

My Godfather bought a new a 1982 Lincoln and when the car was 10 years old it was really like a new car with 7,000 miles, garaged kept under a cover.

This car had one of the first all digital instrument displays and it couldn't be fixed... the Dealer couldn't do it, Lincoln said they no longer supported it and their was nothing aftermarket.

So here is a pristine car with every option down to the factory CB that he never could get repaired and he could not get a smog because of this problem...

He was in the merchant marines and gone a lot of the time and this is why the car was so well preserved.

My mechanic friend sees similar with late model High End cars having complex electronic components that fail and are quite costly if available...

/ Sticker shock....!!! #113  
My mechanic friend sees similar with late model High End cars having complex electronic components that fail and are quite costly if available...

they don't have to be 'high end' anymore. Most cars have very complex electronics.

The basic Tundra I recently bought has an LED section in front of the driver and an LED touch screen sound system/backup camera. This is a bare bones Tundra. They all come with it now...even my wife's new RAV4.

The touch screen electronic section cost $9000 to replace if it fails.

That's why I bought the 8 year bumper to bumper warrentee.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #114  
I take it that you've never had an ignition control module go bad. They don't last anywhere near the life of the vehicle. QUOTE]

Actually, I did. It was on a 1986 Ford Bronco II with 130k miles. That paled in comparison to the mechanical problems it had.

Technology can retire some vehicles way before their time...

My Godfather bought a new a 1982 Lincoln and when the car was 10 years old it was really like a new car with 7,000 miles, garaged kept under a cover.

Newsflash...we're 32 years and tremendous technological advancements away from 1982.

they don't have to be 'high end' anymore. Most cars have very complex electronics.

The basic Tundra I recently bought has an LED section in front of the driver and an LED touch screen sound system/backup camera. This is a bare bones Tundra. They all come with it now...even my wife's new RAV4.

The touch screen electronic section cost $9000 to replace if it fails.

That's why I bought the 8 year bumper to bumper warrentee.

Right, even lower end stuff has electronics now. It's everywhere. Whomever told you it costs $9k to replace the touch screen in that truck was pulling your leg to try to get you to buy that extended warrantee...

/ Sticker shock....!!! #115  
The 'new technology' typically lasts the life of the vehicle. If an electronic part breaks, it's normally within the first 6 months. Or, if it breaks later, it's as easy as pulling the old part out and replacing it. You don't even have to get your hands greasy!

Over the life of the vehicle, I'd bet lunch that you spend much less money on electronics than you do the other stuff to keep a car running.

I agree, I have had a handful of vehicles and everyone has had more and more electronics. The only electrical thing I can recall going bad was on my 1995 GMC Sierra 3500. I had to replace the "HAZARD" mechanism. It went bad and caused the parking lights to stay on with no turn signals. The dealer quoted $350 or so to replace a bunch of stuff. I did my homework, found the part and I think it was $30 bucks. It literally pulled out and reclipped the new piece in. On the same truck, I replaced brake lines, brakes, tires, alternator and batteries. All things I was able to do myself. I can't imagine the bill if I couldn't. That was a plow truck and used as a "TRUCK" so I surely didn't complain. With all my other vehicles It typically been mechanical as well.

I take it that you've never had an ignition control module go bad. They don't last anywhere near the life of the vehicle. QUOTE]

Actually, I did. It was on a 1986 Ford Bronco II with 130k miles. That paled in comparison to the mechanical problems it had.

My 86 bronco was amazing too. This is the vehicle that paid for my lessons in backyard mechanics. GREAT VEHICLE as it was my winter truck when I stored my Lincoln. I learned ALOT. I also learned too, all mechanics are NOT equal. Great life experiences.

Newsflash...we're 32 years and tremendous technological advancements away from 1982.

Exactly, 30 years of technoloy...

Right, even lower end stuff has electronics now. It's everywhere. Whomever told you it costs $9k to replace the touch screen in that truck was pulling your leg to try to get you to buy that extended warrantee...

I actually had an electronic issue with my 2000 Wrangler. I left it in 2 pretty bad rain storms with the top down and eventually the radio went out. Warranty covered it. Another well abused and great vehicle.

As for the guys who their older vehicles don't rust, I am happy for you guys as its hard up here in Michigan to keep things clean with all the Salt. Is it possible, sure. I have a 1986 F-350 that has minimal rust but hasnt been driven in 2 years either. I need to figure out what mechanical thing went wrong for why its not starting. I am hoping its just the batteries.

For the mechanically inclined guy it may pay to keep an older vehicle as well. Not many people know how to adjust a carb or do their own brakes let alone anything major. Most guys cant drop a trans or have the courage to do anything else major. Guys typically dont have more than an average set of wrenches let along a $30 set of coil compressors. The common man doesn't have ANY specialty tools.

I am fortunate and have a good basic knowledge of cars. Just about anything can be fixed with youtube and google images jk lol.

My wifes old G6 had the ball joints go on it. I had a couple quotes of $1700 as the lower control has to be changed since it one whole unit. I ended up buying the parts and doing it myself for about $400. The car still has yet to have an electronic issue and will most likely run forever it seems. We are currently selling it as we purchased the new "sticker shock" vehicle. Aside from driving off a lot and losing that initial value. Cars if kept a while will enventually hold a good value.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #116  
I was just thinking, my grandfather had a timing light. Yup, I have it now. NO CLUE HOW TO USE IT.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #117  
I was just thinking, my grandfather had a timing light. Yup, I have it now. NO CLUE HOW TO USE IT.

Ha! I remember watching my dad use one, but never had a clue how to use one myself!

/ Sticker shock....!!! #118  
I had to learn to work on cars and trucks from friends who were kind enough to teach me and from books and magazines. I started off with just a few basic tools. Just about every new repair required a trip to Sears for a new tool or two. Over the years I've saved a lot of money doing it myself. Keeping my old trucks running is a whole lot less expensive than trading on a new $50,000 truck. If new ones are your style, more power to you. I can replace a worn part here and there or rebuild an engine for a lot less money than that new truck costs. I like mine, you like yours. We'll just do things differently.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #119  

Newsflash... car had 7,000 miles and was 10 years old and not repairable.

Funny thing is I was still buying parts for my 1930 Model A Ford from the local Ford Dealer in 1980... Fifty years later and I could still walk into any Ford Dealer and order a new carburetor and I did... plus lots of other things... just goes to show the price of technology...

/ Sticker shock....!!! #120  
I had to learn to work on cars and trucks from friends who were kind enough to teach me and from books and magazines. I started off with just a few basic tools. Just about every new repair required a trip to Sears for a new tool or two. Over the years I've saved a lot of money doing it myself. Keeping my old trucks running is a whole lot less expensive than trading on a new $50,000 truck. If new ones are your style, more power to you. I can replace a worn part here and there or rebuild an engine for a lot less money than that new truck costs. I like mine, you like yours. We'll just do things differently.

Impressive you can rebuild your engine. I am unable to. Plus, I require use of my vehicle daily. If I dint have kids, I probably would still have my 95 standard cab. I figured cost wise, it would be able to replace the engine in that truck every year for 10 years rather than purchase a new vehicle. However, I need the dependability of a vehicle the starts and runs every time without down time. I agree a new vehicle can have a glitch. Heck I am having some glitches/ hickups with my new tractor. I agree and am pretty frugal when I need to be and purchase high dollar equipment / cars when I feel it necessary. Another thing I felt was interesting is my 2009 GMC 2500HD Duramax was cheaper to insure than my 95 3500 standard cab. They said it was due to the safety features.

I like to buy vehicles and not lease just to have a vehicle longer and save money. I work on my stuff when capable and when time allows.

Back to the original posters topic. The price paid for new cars is extreme but can also be justified.

I think my parents 1990 Dodge Ram 250 conversion van with 360 V8 was 17,000 and our neighbors purchased a cherokee sport V6 for 17,500 if I believe. There my father said he could fit that jeep inside his van and felt he received a better value for his dollar. The van fit 6 comfortably and the jeep would squeeze in four. I guess it all comes down to personal perception, needs, wants and what we can afford. I'd like a Corvette but their sticker is out of my budget for the time being.