HELP! Information about converting my 1989 F250 into a dump bed

/ HELP! Information about converting my 1989 F250 into a dump bed #1  

pacificnwrider

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1710 TLB
Hi All:
If you've tried this before I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!! Anybody who's done this or tried it, please chime in! I want all information before taking a torch to a perfectly good pickup!

I want to convert my 1989 F250 fleetside 8ft bed into a dump bed. I want to do this using the factory fleetside bed(not flatbed or other). I want to make it in such a way that the truck bed sits just as it would without the hoist under it. that the truck's ability to dump would be "invisible" if you will.

I realize a 3/4 ton truck is exceedingly light duty for a dump bed; there are several reasons I want to proceed with this truck.

1. I have it; while the truck is a wood hauler, it's in really good shape and the purchase price(from a friend) is $500. I haven't been able to find a trailer for that price.
2. The truck's got the lariat package with a/c and cruise so it will be comfortable to drive the hour and a half or so to my parents house for potential work; as well as drive to the reservation where I get firewood from time to time.
3. I realize my tare capacity is going to be around a thousand pounds; that's ok with me.
4. The log splitter is equipped with a 12v clutch driven hydraulic pump which will work well mounted in the engine compartment and running off the engine.

Lastly...well, I just want to do it; with the stuff I have with the truck I have.

My Current Plan
Fabricate a post hoist dump bed using the original factory bed and hydraulic materials from an old log splitter. The hydraulic pump is a clutch driven pump that I intend to mount on the engine using a modified power steering pump mount bracket. The cylinder has about a 32" throw in and out, and it's a 2 way cylinder.

Because of the short throw of the cylinder and my desire to do a post hoist rather than a scissor hoist, I'm going to cut 16" off the back of the frame. I'll then fab in the hing pin corresponding distance from the end of the bed, effectively making the bed cantilevered 16" or so. This cantilever will cause the tailgate to nearly touch the ground when the truck is loaded and dumping, but will allow the shorter ram to lift the bed to 50 degrees or so.

The frame rails which will support the bed are going to be 1/4X3 angle iron; and they are going to be fabbed to the outside of the pickup frame. This is the only way to get the factory bed to retain its factory look and position on the truck.

Questions for the Forum:

I'm thinking the hing for the ram to the bed will need to be in the rear most 30" or so of the bed...from what I see it shouldn't be a problem dumping the 1k or so weights I'm projecting. Thoughts?

Will the bed clear the cab when dumping?

Ideas about mounting the bumper?

What have I not yet considered?

Thanks in advance for your reading and contributions!!