Good Brake controller

/ Good Brake controller #1  

sacmarata

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 6530C, Yanmar LX490, Forson Dexta
In addition to hauling the Dexta and Yanmar, I just bought a 31' travel trailer and have decided to upgrade my brake controllers in my trucks. I'm figuring my max gross will be somewhere around 10k. I always heard MAXBRAKE was the best but just noticed they must be out of business.
Any suggestions for electric brake controller?

/ Good Brake controller #2  
I think most will agree for the simple electric plug in type, it is sure hard to beat the Tekonsha P2 or P3. I have both. Both work well (and the same) but I like features and the screen built into the P3.

/ Good Brake controller #3  
Hayes is made in the US of A. I'm happy with mine. It's not the priciest one they make, not the cheapest either. Think I paid about $90-100. Worth every penny.

/ Good Brake controller #4  
I love my P3

I have 2 other types. a drawtight activator 2 as well as a cheaper hoppy.

I must say. they all work.. the hoppy is the most vanilla. I'd say for 7k loads.. .. ANY e-brake controller will be fone. start getting bigger.. and then why not have the prodigy.....

/ Good Brake controller #5  
I'd second or third the Tekonsha. I have the Primus with fewer bells and whistles than the P2 or P3, but it does all I want - with a built in accelerometer, any angle mounting, and adjustable boost settings, I think it is a better value.

/ Good Brake controller #6  
+1 on the P3. About 15 min install time with prewired harness.

/ Good Brake controller #7  
P3 is bullet proof but a pressure driven one like the Max Brake that is now out of business is 3 times better.

What is your tow vehicle? If it's a late model Ford or GM you can get the factory one that will blow any plug and play unit out of the water.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Good Brake controller #8  
I bought a Tekonsha prodigy years ago and it seems to me it was the best I could find. I did my homework and decided the difference in price between that one and the cheapest was negligible when you consder the cost of a malfunction.
I would recomend this unit as it has been 100% reliable, but I would check and see if there is any new technology that may provide more reliable results.
I'm guessing here but I think hydraulc brakes, properly maintained, are the best way to go. If I was making a living with a trailer, that's what I would have.

/ Good Brake controller
P3 is bullet proof but a pressure driven one like the Max Brake that is now out of business is 3 times better.

What is your tow vehicle? If it's a late model Ford or GM you can get the factory one that will blow any plug and play unit out of the water.

Chris

'94 Dodge 2500 Cummins
2002 Chevy 1500HD 6.0 Gas

Didn't know about factory GM and Ford controllers???? hmmmm

/ Good Brake controller #10  
'94 Dodge 2500 Cummins
2002 Chevy 1500HD 6.0 Gas

Didn't know about factory GM and Ford controllers???? hmmmm

06 and newer Ford's and 08 and newer GM'S have them now.

Chris