hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs?

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I seem to remember that it used to be legal to haul diesel in a small bulk tank ( 500g or less ) if it had the feul plaque on it denoting diesel and combustable.. but not quite clear on memory. The other day someone mentioned the regs have changed. have not been able to wade thru FL dot regs to verify.

Any here know wha tthe regs are for a small bulk tank?

thanks

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #2  
Why not drop into a Fla. DOT office and ask? Or better still talk to a DOT officer. A State cop should be able to tell you or at least point you in the right direction.

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #3  
Must be less than 400 L and bolted to the truck. Should have a type 3 Hazardous sticker on it, saying what's in it. ( Diesel is UN# 1202 ) Do not need placards or any special license for under 400 L. If it's a commercial vehicle the tank must be steel, not aluminum.

Google "Transfer Tank regs" .

UN1202-b.png

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #4  
I think you might need Haz-Mat certification too. Don't quote me on that, though.

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #5  
I think you might need Haz-Mat certification too. Don't quote me on that, though.

Not for under 400 L. However having it mounted on a trailer may throw a curve into things.

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #6  
I seem to remember that it used to be legal to haul diesel in a small bulk tank ( 500g or less ) if it had the feul plaque on it denoting diesel and combustable.. but not quite clear on memory. The other day someone mentioned the regs have changed. have not been able to wade thru FL dot regs to verify. Any here know wha tthe regs are for a small bulk tank? thanks
Soundguy, we have several fuel trailers on the farm from 500 gallons up to 2000. We've never had any trouble with the DOT here in Arkansas. I figure your gonna be using it for farm use or haying any way. Far as commercial having to be steel, that doesn't make any sense. About all the big rig haulers are running aluminum fuel tanks around here. I thought I had a pic of the newest one in a 700 gallon, it was built specifically for hauling fuel. With a placard saying so on it. LUTT

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #7  
Not for under 400 L. However having it mounted on a trailer may throw a curve into things.
The OP said 500 g. I assume that since he is in Florida that is to mean 500 gallons which is way more than 400 L.

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #8  
Soundguy, we have several fuel trailers on the farm from 500 gallons up to 2000. We've never had any trouble with the DOT here in Arkansas. I figure your gonna be using it for farm use or haying any way. Far as commercial having to be steel, that doesn't make any sense. About all the big rig haulers are running aluminum fuel tanks around here. I thought I had a pic of the newest one in a 700 gallon, it was built specifically for hauling fuel. With a placard saying so on it. LUTT

The aluminum ones that you can get from DeeZee and such have a tag right on them that says "not for commercial use". However if they have been certified as acceptable, then by all means.

/ hauling diesel fuel in florida in a small bulk tank on a trailer, what are the regs? #9  
The OP said 500 g. I assume that since he is in Florida that is to mean 500 gallons which is way more than 400 L.

Fair enough. Over 400 L ( 105 USG ) you would definitely need placards on the truck, front and rear, and training on fuel handling with an endorsement on your license. However, if he has farm plates the rules may be different again.