Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've been looking for a cargo trailer, 6' by 12' or 14' and can't find one on the web that uses 5,000 lb axle. I called the local "Custom" trailer shop and they only do 3,500 lb axles, single or dual.

Is there some law I don't know about?

I've a vehicle w/ a 5K tow rating.
Virginia has been written about on TBN as having the police stop and check the axles etc. to determine if you are pulling too much, so getting a tandem derated to 5K lbs would not work well in this case.

/edit - it seems like many places will swap out two 3,500 lb axle for two 5,200 lb axles for ~ $1,500.

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #2  
I've been looking for a cargo trailer, 6' by 12' or 14' and can't find one on the web that uses 5,000 lb axle. I called the local "Custom" trailer shop and they only do 3,500 lb axles, single or dual.

Is there some law I don't know about?

I've a vehicle w/ a 5K tow rating.
Virginia has been written about on TBN as having the police stop and check the axles etc. to determine if you are pulling too much, so getting a tandem derated to 5K lbs would not work well in this case.

/edit - it seems like many places will swap out two 3,500 lb axle for two 5,200 lb axles for ~ $1,500.

Tires!

A blow out would put a lot of material sideways ....

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #3  
Find a heavy duty single axle and do an axle swap. Chances are a single 3500 wouldn't have brakes so that would be a good time to just buy a 5000 lb axle with brakes and new springs. Axles and springs are pretty inexpensive.

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #4  
The only legal limit I know of is that over 3k GVWR you need brakes on one or more axles in most states.
I would prefer a larger single axle trailer vs a 2 axle one. Easier to turn, tires will be a little less (3/4 the price for 2 heavier tires vs 4 lighter ones?)

Aaron Z

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #5  
   / Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #6  
Single axle 5k are out there. Probably have hard time finding a used one.
I know for sure PJ and CornPro make them. I was going to order a PJ, but the crazy lead time led me to buy a CornPro off a local lot. 6.5'x12'
I didn't necessarily need the extra capacity, but wanted to have brakes for pulling my UTV with the jeep.

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #7  
I personally would not pull a single at highway speeds that had more than a 3500# axle. Any bigger and a blow out is very dangerous.

Chris

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #8  
Search "single axle equipment trailers". You'll find a bunch available, usually the tilt type. They're very common for hauling vibratory rollers and asphalt equipment. I've hauled on quite a few with 6k capacity. Forget LT tires though. G-rated tires in 7.50-16" radial are your friend.

Edited to add: Sorry, just noticed that you said "cargo." My bad.

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #9  
I think they passed a law quite a few years ago (at least in NY) that stated trailer dealers that sold trailers rated over 3K had to have a trailer mechanic with an inspectors license and be a state licensed inspection station. A lot of dealers here that were selling double axle trailers stopped selling them so they didn't have to hire mechanics with inspectors licenses or become a state inspection station. There still are companies that do have HD single axle trailers for equipment such as small paving rollers etc. Personally, if I'm going to haul something over 3K I prefer 2 or more axles on the trailer.

/ Why virtually no single axle 5,000 lb GVWR cargo trailers #10  
Plus wouldn't a double axle handle better? I know the RV's singles and doubles I've towed, the doubles always towed better.