EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #2  
Thanks for posting. He gave a pretty detailed report of his trip and the truck got pretty good mileage considering the conditions he was towing through. I might have to join that forum and subscribe.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #3  
I noticed the lack of payload was a concern as I have mentioned in the past. I would own one in a heartbeat if they could get the darn payload numbers up.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #4  
I noticed the lack of payload was a concern as I have mentioned in the past. I would own one in a heartbeat if they could get the darn payload numbers up.
I have test drove/looked at all the 2014 trucks in the last week. I wanted to make sure I am making the right move replacing my Titan with a F150.

Nissan and Toyota, nothing new.

GM, much improved.

Ford, still the best overall package.

Dodge, lots of neat features.

I took a tape measure and me, uncle, dad, and salesman made the Dodge drop 3.5" more then the next closest truck. Payload is a issue. The guy in this article easily overloaded his rear axle way before ever getting near the tow rating.

I'll stick with the Eco Boost. It would easily turn in 13 to 14 mpg pulling the load he is and cost less per mile vs diesel.

Chris

Last edited:
   / EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #5  
I have test drove/looked at all the 2014 trucks in the last week.

Interesting you tested all the brands, Chris. Few truck owners have done that.

Do you factor in the reliability of each model? Of course, you have to research that for each one.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #6  
Interesting you tested all the brands, Chris. Few truck owners have done that. Do you factor in the reliability of each model? Of course, you have to research that for each one.

I actually did the same thin back in 2008 when I bought the Titan also.

Reliability is what? Last time I went off what the Internet said was reliable I bought a brand new 2005 Dmax 3500 4x4. In 9 months it had over 30 issues. I traded it in after 9 months on the dreaded 2006 F350 6.0L Diesel. It now has 120,000 miles and has only been in the shop once for a bad fuel gauge.

The honest fact is I pretty much knew I was buying a Ford. Just wanted to actually touch the other brands for myself.

From 08 to now the Nissan and Toyota has done nothing. Same basic trucks. I had a 07 F150 and this new one I'm getting is even better. Can't wait for the aluminum 2015's. The Dodges went down hill in looks to me but nice features. GM overall has made huge improvements. Back in 08 they were 10 years behind Ford and the imports and 5 years behind Dodge. Today they are on par every step of the way.

Chris

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #7  
Reliability is what? Last time I went off what the Internet said was reliable I bought a brand new 2005
Dmax 3500 4x4.

The only large reliability owner surveys I am aware of that are not commercially conflicted are from
Consumers Reports, and I don't think they look at PUs over 1/2-ton. For bigger trucks, you only
have 3 manufacturer choices. I wonder when we will see bigger trucks from Nissan and Toyota.....

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #8  
TrueDelta.com is a good reliability site.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #9  
The honest fact is I pretty much knew I was buying a Ford. Chris

No surprise there! Around here, some dealers are reluctant on taking in the EB on trade. Just like the dreaded 6.0 diesel that you were LUCKY with. I would have to say Ford is lagging in ride quality and interior noise.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #10  
No surprise there! Around here, some dealers are reluctant on taking in the EB on trade. Just like the dreaded 6.0 diesel that you were LUCKY with. I would have to say Ford is lagging in ride quality and interior noise.

I gave strong consideration to Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota but for the reasons I listed they didn't make the cut.

Not here. EB trucks used sell in a week.

I agree, they are behind in those areas but were 10 years ahead until this year. The new aluminum 2015 F150 will address this.

Chris