2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73 #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
So I am in the process of getting ready to purchase a new vehicle. For the several years I have been using a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 4.7L V8 as a do everything vehicle. Don't get me wrong it is a nice SUV for one person or a couple, but it doesn't exactly meet my needs. It's horribly cramped when loaded with 3 kids, has a small cargo area, and occasionally cries for mercy when I use it to tow.

To that end I have been looking hard at getting a 2014 4WD 1500 Sierra Crew Cab in some flavor of SLE. Personally I think they look pretty sharp both inside and out. My personal preference mind you, not trying to talk down about other brands - prior to driving the Heep I used to drive an 01 Dakota.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the mpg difference between the 3.42 and 3.73 axle ratio? Outfitted correctly, the difference in towing capacity is supposedly 9,500 vs 11,000 lbs. Not that I expect to come near the max capacity anytime in this truck's life, but I do appreciate the idea of having extra towing ability if necessary. As well, while we don't live in the mountains per se, we are in the foothills and there enough elevation changes to cause the Heep to strain and hunt for gears towing the BX on a 20 Kaufman utility trailer.

I tend to waffle on the axle ratio. Part me just says to get the 3.73 and be done with it, but I also don't want to be a year down the road and kicking myself each time I look at the gas gauge. If y'all have any thoughts that might sway me I would appreciate your input on the subject.

Basically, I am trying to get all my ducks in a row, because for the love, people haven't been kidding about sticker shock regarding trucks these days. It's been 13 years since I have been able to purchase a vehicle for myself and if I am going to be getting a truck that has a ~ $43,000 MSRP I am going to be darned sure to do everything I can to get it configured exactly the way I would like. To that end I am trying negotiating/purchasing over the phone a go. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid the majority of the hassle and pressures associated with the sales lots. Anyways, thanks for reading and happy early Father's Day to all of the other dads out there. :thumbsup:

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73 #2  
Get the lower gear ratio and be done with it.
What motor?

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73
Fair enough about the gear ratio. Is it one of those things that the difference in mpg is so small as to go ahead and get the 3.73 or am I missing some logic here. Don't get me wrong I'm totally happy with idea of supposedly being able to tow more. :D Its just that while I am reasonably mechanically inclined, I've never been big into vehicles and would like to better understand the real world benefits/differences if significant between the two.

In answer to your question it will be the their EcoTec3 5.3L V8. According to GM it turn out 355 @ 5600, and 383 @ 4100. They also offer a 6.2L V8 that runs 420 @ 5600, and 460 @ 4100, but that is only available in the SLT models and a bit beyond my reach. In truth, excluding the house, this truck will be the most expensive thing that I have ever purchased. :eek:

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73 #5  
I've owned a 6.2 with 3.73's and currently own a '14 Silverado with 5.3 and 3.42 and I've been happy with both to be honest. I would not own a truck with 3.08's nor would I own a 6.2 with 3.42's since you'll never get all either motor has to offer. You might also have to special order the truck you're wanting as I have yet to see a 5.3 with hd trailer package or a 6.2 truck on the two lots near me.

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73 #6  
I agree, get the 3.73. That's a good ratio unless you do a lot of driving at interstate speeds empty. Other wise you won't notice the difference.

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73
You might also have to special order the truck you're wanting as I have yet to see a 5.3 with hd trailer package or a 6.2 truck on the two lots near me.

True, that may well be the case. My plan at the moment is to put together the package I would like and send that to 4-5 of the internet sales managers within an hour of my house and sit back and wait and see what they come up with. The 6.2 really has never been an option, and it's not something I need. Ideally I would like the a 5.3L, 4WD, crew cab standard box.

Alternately, I am considering being done with the whole issue and trying a flat fee concierge buying service to find and negotiate for what I like.

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73 #8  
True, that may well be the case. My plan at the moment is to put together the package I would like and send that to 4-5 of the internet sales managers within an hour of my house and sit back and wait and see what they come up with. The 6.2 really has never been an option, and it's not something I need. Ideally I would like the a 5.3L, 4WD, crew cab standard box. Alternately, I am considering being done with the whole issue and trying a flat fee concierge buying service to find and negotiate for what I like.

To be honest you should have no trouble getting around $8500 off the truck you're looking for. Just make sure you get the all-star package, you get a lot of bang for the buck and no useless features. That's the package that has all the rebates too. The setup you're wanting is what I have and I've enjoyed mine so far. The 6.2 was a bit overkill for me and if I need a truck with that kind of towing capability I'd just buy a gas hd.

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73 #9  
I just purchased a 2014 Silverado double cab.LT Z 71 with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears.Remember these trucks have six speed auto with a tow/haul mode.3.42 are standard and unless you order I doubt you will find one on the lot set up any different.The 3/4 ton's are generally set-up more for heavy duty towing.Again depends on your uses.For me just a 2,000 lb.boat and utility trailer.I have use my other trucks that were set up similar for camping,fully loaded box(1000lbs.)two canoes on top and towing a loaded utility trailer in the mountains with no problem at all.
On a second thought;I traded a 2013 similarly equipped and the 2014's are a huge improvement both in ride quality and lack of any cab noise.Still on the first tank and showing 18mpg.average ,all in short hops.

/ 2014 Sierra 1500 Axlle Ratios 3.42 vs 4.73 #10  
Always buy 24 to 48 hours before the end of month. Expect to spend the time to visit at least 2 dealers in person. I ended up getting a loaded 2013 3500 LTZ for 54 K with $ 1000 in free accessories because I was a business owner. Sticker price was 64K almost 65K.
You are making a large purchase and it is worth your time to put time and effort into it. All of the Internet salesmen fell out around 60K or just did not return emails.
Good Luck