trailer winch

/ trailer winch #1  

nap61

Silver Member
I am thinking about adding a winch to the front of my small trailer in case I need to get my lawnmower on if the motor fails and I need to bring it to the shop. I would appreciate any photos and details how you added one to your trailer.Thanks

Norman

/ trailer winch #2  
A small hand crank winch will work for a lawnmower. We have one that we use for our small tractor and it works fine. Tommorow I will snap a picture for you.

/ trailer winch #3  
For something like that, I think I would get a boat trailer winch and maybe a mounting post. or put it on your front frame rail.

Bruce

/ trailer winch #4  
For something like that, I think I would get a boat trailer winch and maybe a mounting post. or put it on your front frame rail.

Bruce

That's how we have ours set up. You can buy everything you need at northern tool.

/ trailer winch #5  
Buy a come-a -long. I keep one in Toy Hauler 5th wheel just in case of a golf cart failure. Never needed it but its there just in case. Get one with a pulley that doubles your pulling power. I got one, nice fold up in plastic case, also look for solid gears and ratchet parts if they are made of several pieces of steel riveted together. Pass on it chinese junk.

/ trailer winch
Thanks for the replys. I have a boat winch but I was looking for some photos of how to attach it. I don't weld.
Cowboy - What parts from Northern tool would you suggest?

Norman

/ trailer winch #7  
Thanks for the replys. I have a boat winch but I was looking for some photos of how to attach it. I don't weld.
Cowboy - What parts from Northern tool would you suggest?

Norman

We just bought the winch, cable, and the hook from northern. I don't weld either but a friend of mine mounted it to the front of the trailer with some angle iron. I will try a get a photo tomorrow for you. It's a very simple setup.

/ trailer winch #8  
Some ideas:

IMG02043-20130703-1455_zps3949d484.jpg

tongue-lg.jpg

Triton-04315-UT-Series-Trailer-Winch-Mount-body-Image-Milwaukee-New-York-Chicago.jpg

c-holmes-004.jpg

If you have a straight tongue, boat trailer winch posts are made to bolt on. Then bolt the winch on top. No welding needed.

Boat Trailer Winch Posts & Winch Mounts at Trailer Parts Superstore

Bruce

/ trailer winch #9  
Buy a come-a -long. I keep one in Toy Hauler 5th wheel just in case of a golf cart failure. Never needed it but its there just in case. Get one with a pulley that doubles your pulling power. I got one, nice fold up in plastic case, also look for solid gears and ratchet parts if they are made of several pieces of steel riveted together. Pass on it chinese junk.

The nice thing about a come-along is it can be used for other functions. Some have the ability to be single pull or double.

/ trailer winch
cowboy and Bruce,
Thanks. I have been fishing all my life (and I am "in the ninth inning", "on the back nine"). I have owned boats since I was 18yrs. old until Katrina. I didn't think about a boat type winch post. I was over thinking it.

Norman