Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference?

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
We have been given two baby quarter horses that will be old enough to come home with us in November. We don't have a trailer to haul them in yet, and really don't need one right away because we have two sources to borrow them. They are both an hour away, one way, which is doable for this.

I have a 2012 F-150 for towing. I really don't want to buy another, bigger truck, so bumper pull seems to be my only option. I use my truck for work and haul stuff in it all the time, so not having a ball in the middle of my bed isn't something I'm wanting.

Looking around on Craigslist, there are a variety of trailers out there, from two horse side by side trailers for $1,500 to $5,000, 3 and four horse trailers with slant load and storage for a lot more and then there are cattle and livestock trailers. Can you haul horses in a livestock trailer?

One day we would like to have a few steers and some other animals. I think that getting the biggest trailer I can makes more sense, but there is a point where I'm not comfortable spending more money on if it's rarely used and when it is used it will just take an extra trip to do the same thing with a smaller trailer.

What should I look for in buying a trailer? I'm open to either used or brand new. Might go cash, but if the financing is good, I might do that.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #2  
We have been given two baby quarter horses that will be old enough to come home with us in November. We don't have a trailer to haul them in yet, and really don't need one right away because we have two sources to borrow them. They are both an hour away, one way, which is doable for this.

I have a 2012 F-150 for towing. I really don't want to buy another, bigger truck, so bumper pull seems to be my only option. I use my truck for work and haul stuff in it all the time, so not having a ball in the middle of my bed isn't something I'm wanting.

Looking around on Craigslist, there are a variety of trailers out there, from two horse side by side trailers for $1,500 to $5,000, 3 and four horse trailers with slant load and storage for a lot more and then there are cattle and livestock trailers. Can you haul horses in a livestock trailer?

One day we would like to have a few steers and some other animals. I think that getting the biggest trailer I can makes more sense, but there is a point where I'm not comfortable spending more money on if it's rarely used and when it is used it will just take an extra trip to do the same thing with a smaller trailer.

What should I look for in buying a trailer? I'm open to either used or brand new. Might go cash, but if the financing is good, I might do that.

Thank you,
Eddie

Eddie if you do not plan to trailer much and have one you can borrow when you do, go that route. Yes, you can haul horses in a stock trailer, it is common practice in my parts. We have a 3 horse slant load Sundowner aluminum horse trailer. We pull it with 1/2 ton trucks, currently a Tundra. It is light and pulls well. If you do buy, especially used, check for rust from horse urine, bearings, dry rotted tires and wiring.

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #3  
Eddie you should be able to buy a 14 foot stock combo WW in ur country for under 4000 new. I give 3800 or so for mine last year. I had to go pick it up in Spiro Oklahoma . It will have a center divider fate, swing rear gate with a slide gate on it, with brakes on both axles. Standerd, most are option on those things. WW has been making trailers since 1968, there just as good as the rest in my opinion. I thought I had some pics on this phone but don't. We have already pulled it over ten thousand miles to livestock shows with no problems. I will be getting off work this morning and will take some of it and share. LUTT

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #4  
Eddie, the big difference in a stock trailer and a horse trailer is price, looks and most horse trailers have partitions for separating the horses. Most also have tack storage areas and maybe even dressing rooms/living areas. If you are not going to horse show and don't need to "keep up with the Jones" a stock trailer works fine and is usually lighter. Your F150 can pull whatever you need, I probably would go with a 16' with a center cut gate. It will be big enough for 4 horses (they tend to multiply) and can handle several cows/calves when needed. Use the cut gate to prevent animals from shifting front to back in the trailer. You do not want all the critters to end up at the back, trailer tongue picks up rear of the truck and it is not good. Trailer brakes are a must, good hitch is needed (not the bumper) And when you get the trailer, get a pressure washer. Keeping the trailer clean will help keep the rust away. Steel vs aluminum is more cost vs weight than anything. If you get a steel trailer, light colors will keep the animals a lot cooler. Have fun on your new adventure

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #5  
I use my truck for work and haul stuff in it all the time, so not having a ball in the middle of my bed isn't something I'm wanting.

If you are interested in a goose neck trailer they have recessed and flip balls so they won't interfere with hauling stuff in your box when not in use.

Watch for height of the trailers too. Most stock trailers are 6'6" and horse trailers 7'. Our quarter horse won't fit in a 6'6" trailer at just over 16hh

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #6  
A stock trailer with a chest bar will be cheaper and handier as it opens the floor completely. Certainly if you only need to haul occassionally, borrowing will be cheaper.

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #7  
Eddie IMO you have been given great advice by the TBN folks once again . If you buy a used steel trailer check for "RUST" also of course they will weigh more. I preferre aluminum stock trailers . Some even have a small dressing room or tack room in front. Also IMO you don't want a trailer with a beam in rear center in case you want to load furnature,mower or what ever. I also don't like em with rear tack room if its not collapsible it limits your rear entry space like I mentioned with center beam. In a stock trailer some horses feel more comfortable and even like to ride backwards on an angle.
As previous poster mentioned height of the trailer is a very important factor .

htthttp://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/category-view.aspp://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/category-view.asp

There are some fantastic deals on horse trailers in Texas.

Also a trailer with an "ESCAPE" door up front on one side is a plus !

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #8  
Let's talk trailer features....select to meet your apparent current and future needs.

First thing I think of is an "escape" door in the front. Surprising how many times this is handy. Lead a horse in, leave by the door. It's a safety thing. getting crushed/kicked by horse or cow in the trailer is no fun.

How are you going to load stuff...horses only...a rear gate that makes a ramp is handy for loading...horses do get trailer savvy and will jump in and out of the lip. But young horses especially are wary of the lip and loading/unloading without a chute is simpler with a ramp.

Cattle, you will need some sort of chute to guide the cattle into the trailer. They will jump into the trailer given that they are confined from backing up into the chute and refusing to load...this is done by a swing gate of some kind which forces them into the trailer. The rear gates of the trailer are important for cattle...my trailer has two gates which swing back on each side to form a block against the chute sides so cattle cannot get around the trailer. My chute is actually a lane wide enough to drive into and out the other end. Drive in, open rear gates to form block, run cattle into lane and compress them with a swing gate so that they are forced to stay there until they decide to jump into the trailer.

Dividers are key to safety for the stuff you are hauling and during transport. For horses, one down the middle, or a slant is the right answer. All horses or cattle find travel easier if they can assume a slant position in the trailer. Typically, straight across gates are ok for cattle.

Size...you can put 4 grown cattle into an 8 foot trailer space. A trailer with two 8 foot compartments should be more than ample for your needs and pickup hauling capacity. Wider is better for cattle...makes turning around easier.

Always load live stock into the front compartment unless you also have sufficient animals to make a balanced load in both front and rear compartments. Closing the rear gate on cattle which are wanting to escape can be a real problem unless you think about it first....I MUCH prefer the rear double gate rather than a single rear gate...several reasons which become apparent if you only have a one peace rear gate.

For sheep, goats, smaller animals, you still need a chute for confinement unless you are going to catch each by hand and throw them in the trailer. However, the chute needs to be same width as trailer and you back up to it. Else, animals will escape around sides/under gates.

So, my ideal configuration for your multiple critter scenario would be as follows.

A chute as wide as your trailer, split rear gates which open both inward into trailer and outward to form a block, pipes/poles placed behind the rear of horses or cattle can keep them from backing up in the chute and moving forward into the trailer, a 16 foot inside space with a cross gate, escape door in the front compartment, you can build a ramp in the chute to facilitate loading (beware that a poor fit between trailer floor and ramp can cause a broken leg).

Now, given your skills, I implore you to think about getting a gooseneck and putting a hitch in the bed of your pickup which can be removed in a way that your bed is flat and the ball is not ALWAYS there. There are numerous hitches which you can find which do this and you can either have it installed or do it yourself. Yes, a gooseneck costs a bit more, but I've used both hauling live animals using a F150. The gooseneck, IMHO, is about 10 times safer than a bumper hitch. It's not the typical load/driving situation where they differ so dramatically, it is the unusual situations. with a gooseneck, physics works with you, load is increased on rear pickup wheels, better traction, no lift to steering wheels, cattle moving in trailer have far less effect on pickup, panic stop is far less likely to jack knife...I could go on and on. Bottom line, you will be able to carry larger/heavier loads with a gooseneck, with less driver tension and total safety than with a bumper hitch. I venture to say that if you get a bumper hitch, you will ultimately decide you will need a heavier pickup to control the trailer safely. With a gooseneck and "careful" driving with an occasional extreme trailer load, I think you will be able to stay with the f150 until you need something different because it is mechanically unreliable.

Finally, given your skills, you can surely find a used trailer which will meet your needs at a reasonable price.....there are a number of them out there....try craig's list....given that you can do cash, this will work to your negotiation benefit for used, allowing you to get an excellent condition newer trailer for a good price. No need to settle for something beat up.

You have time to hunt for the right thing...and, be aware that once you have the trailer you will find uses for hauling stuff other than just animals. My trailer is wide enough to load a jeep or toyota car into. Has been handy to have that extra width capacity.

OH, yes, for horses, you need a flooring which has a focus on non-skid...many like a rubber composition. Also, need an enclosed front to keep wind/dirt out of horses eyes.

Horses, OMG, horses....you need to study up now on tack, tack rooms, stalls and sheds, feed room, feed protection from varmints, how to build pens which are horse safe, the amount of time spent caring for the horses...and training them, and figure out who your local horse vet is...not all vets do horses...
Horses force you to do things...get trailers, adjust your pickup situation, water troughs, twice a day attention plus whatever time spent training, grooming, riding, cleaning stalls, etc.... I must tell you your "free" horses are not actually free! I do hope that the lady in your life has significant prior experience with horses and is willing to take care of them else they will be a problem, not a pleasure.

Let us know how it goes.

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #9  
Second the recommendation for a forward door.

Horse trailers always have the axles pushed to the rear of trailer is something I've noticed.

/ Horse, Cattle or Livestock Trailer? What is the difference? #10  
Be careful with a 2 horse trailer. I know a lot of horse won't walk into a 2 horse trailer. A guy a work with bought a 2 horse trailer to haul his daughter's 4-H project. Bought it not knowing much about horses or trailers. Trailer would have made better scrap yard material. He spent a ton of money getting the floor & lights fixed, new wheels & tires, new paint. Went to pick up the horse for the first time. The horse wouldn't step inside. It'll load fine into a 16' stock trailer, which by the way is what we use for our goats. 16' with a cut gate we pull it with either our Silverado 1500 or our Suburban 1500. Either handle it fine. We've had as many as 4 steer in it to take them to the fair. Ours is a 2003 that we bought in 2009. It is in great shape - no rust and good solid floor, but is getting ready to need a paint job.