Half Ton Trucks & Brakes

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
With the newer 1/2 ton trucks are the brake systems sufficient for the tow ratings? The Eco-diesel RAM and Eco-Boost F150 got me to thinking are the brakes upgraded in these trucks for the tow ratings or do they use a brake system found on all of their 1/2 ton trucks? Compared to trucks 5-10 years ago are the brakes on the newer trucks better?......Gary

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #2  
With the newer 1/2 ton trucks are the brake systems sufficient for the tow ratings? The Eco-diesel RAM and Eco-Boost F150 got me to thinking are the brakes upgraded in these trucks for the tow ratings or do they use a brake system found on all of their 1/2 ton trucks? Compared to trucks 5-10 years ago are the brakes on the newer trucks better?......Gary

Night and day difference. My 2012 Eco Boost has brakes equivalent or better than my 06 F350.

Everything about the 1/2 tons of today are on par or better than the 3/4 tons of 10 years ago.

Chris

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #3  
ditto... almost always improving ... but remember , that 1/2 ton rating for the truck is also the rating for the extra braking capacity that's built in ....

you can tow / haul a lot more than that, but stopping it will be another story unless you have trailer brakes.....

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #4  
I think they are way better now as well. The big SUV craze has helped more than anything. Big, heavy, soccer Mama tanks have helped us get way better braking systems in the 1/2 ton size class.

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #5  
No questions the brakes are better just based on the hardware and technology. But you would require trailer brakes even to attain the paltry 5000# tow rating of the base V6 trucks with a ball on the bumper (i.e., no hitch). The huge tow ratings on higher-end models doesn't really change that aspect. They are all assuming you have trailer brakes for trailers above 3000# (it's the law).

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes
Glad to hear that the brakes are better now than ever.

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #7  
The front rotors on the new F-150's are larger than the F-250's.

A 4x4 Supercrew F-150 V8 will stop better from 60-0 than a 01 lightning.

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #8  

Ford 04-08 brakes warped rotors stopping empty trucks. In '09, the front rotors were upgraded and only warped when stopping with loads. With ecoboosts carrying even more, Ford again upgraded the brakes on their F150s 2012.

With a max load, I'm more concerned about stopping than pulling with my 2011 Ecoboost. Trailer gain is set at max.

That said, the brakes do stop and Ford has spent more time trying to solve ecoboost-induced axle-wrap issues while maintaining a compliant ride in their F150s.

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #9  
No questions the brakes are better just based on the hardware and technology. But you would require trailer brakes even to attain the paltry 5000# tow rating of the base V6 trucks with a ball on the bumper (i.e., no hitch). The huge tow ratings on higher-end models doesn't really change that aspect. They are all assuming you have trailer brakes for trailers above 3000# (it's the law).

I'm not so sure...

My friend in Texas says the trailer brake law kicks in a 5,000 and some other states have higher than 3,000 for brakes to be required.

I asked him why there are so many trailers advertised without brakes and that is how we got into the discussion.

/ Half Ton Trucks & Brakes #10  
I'm not so sure...

My friend in Texas says the trailer brake law kicks in a 5,000 and some other states have higher than 3,000 for brakes to be required.

I asked him why there are so many trailers advertised without brakes and that is how we got into the discussion.

Good point, it does vary by state -- I know that when I was shopping for trailers, some manufacturers had "50-state" models as standard equipment, and some had that as an option. What made my tandem 3500# axle trailer a 50-state model was having brakes on both axles. Apparently some states only require brakes on one axle for that size.

I guess my main point is that truck brakes are likely sized for the cargo capacity of the truck alone, to provide adequate brake cooling without fading. I seriously doubt a truck rated to tow an 11,000# trailer could safely stop an unbraked 11,000# trailer in an adequate distance without cooking the brakes to oblivion.

I remember setting the brake controller on my first tow vehicle when I got my trailer, and at low enough gain settings the vehicle brakes were almost negligible as far as stopping the vehicle/trailer combination. They would have burst into flames and fallen off long before there was any stopping!!