2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy

/ 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #3  
Sorry that's not a tow test, that's a 3 minute Ford commercial. Fill them up and lets see what one uses less fuel.

/ 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #4  
Video's don't lie. Now I have to trade in my GMC.

It sounds to me like the chevy was 6 seconds behind in the first run and it beat the ford by an unknown number of seconds in the second run. We don't know how much fuel was used by both engines. It was sort of a biased commercial.

In a race and American car and a Russian car were competing. American news outlets reported the american car as the winner..
Russian news outlets reported Russian car as coming in 2nd, and the American car was "next to last"

/ 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #5  
As you all know I just got a 3.5L Ecoboost F150. It's a 2012 FX4 Supercrew with 3.73 gears. I have put 3000 miles on it and so far towed a little over 10,000# 1,200 miles. It's turned in 18% better fuel economy towing than the truck it replaced, a 2008 Nissan Titan.

18% may not sound like a lot but it adds up at the gas pump. In addition to better economy the power is unbelievable. This is my 27th vehicle and while the Titan was the best gas vehicle for towing I have owned till this Ecoboost, there is simply no comparison. It feels as strong on the road as my 99 7.3L Power Stroke F350 and I am quite sure it would out accelerate it and pull grades better.

As for winding up the motor, that's simply not true. It will cruise down the highway at 2000 rpm running 70 plus or pull my 10,000# plus load with the bed full and 4 of us in the cab through out the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee and never broke 3500 rpm even from a dead stop.

As for day to day driving I am seeing 19mpg. My commute back and forth to work, 118 miles, yields 21.3 at 70 plus mph.

My guess is the new 2.7 will work just as well but yield 25 plus mpg.

Chris

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140723_093719.png
    ForumRunner_20140723_093719.png
    309.1 KB · Views: 218
   / 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #6  
Unbelievable from 2.7 liters. 165 cubic inches! No doubt the GM V-8 was equal if not slightly better but when you factor in the fuel economy, the 2.7 has to come out on top. As for the dodge and its VMI diesel, they are hawking this as an answer to Ford's lighter weight and Ecoboost performance. Factor in diesel fuel premium, the only question in my mind comes down to durability of that little motor holding up as miles accumulate.

No doubt Ford has a lot of history now with the 3.5 -in particular in 150s and PI's But will the 2.7 handle the stress as well.

In the meantime, my 2010 SHO just turned 60,000 miles- as DP says-low end torque is unbelieveable

/ 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #7  
Here come the ford ads. Yawn.

/ 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #8  
That's a pretty good spanking on the Ram! It would be interesting to compare to the Hemi in the Ram as well. I would expect the Hemi to out-pull the little 2.7L, but the 2.7L is the mid-level engine in the F150 and not the top dog. Now, if we could just get the fuel economy numbers!

/ 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #9  
That's a pretty good spanking on the Ram! It would be interesting to compare to the Hemi in the Ram as well. I would expect the Hemi to out-pull the little 2.7L, but the 2.7L is the mid-level engine in the F150 and not the top dog. Now, if we could just get the fuel economy numbers!

I'm not so sure the Hemi would spank the 2.7. The Hemi is pretty comparable to the 5.3 GM and it was on par with the 2.7.

High altitude and in the heat the Ford's simply have an advantage with the turbos.

Chris

/ 2015 F150 Tow Test vs. Dodge and Chevy #10  
Nice truck.

I that the one with the aluminum frame inspired by the ***** administration?

Sign me up......NOT!

Fred