How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady.

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #2  
   / How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #3  
Pretty funny bragging that a 450 can out tow a 350. Pretty sure they all do this stuff to some degree but looks like Ford got caught this time. Glad to see the new to rating will be the same among all brands moving forward. Should clear up a lot of this confusion. But I have no doubt they will still figure out a way to legally mislead us once they get their lawyers involved.

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady.
What I don't understand is how is it "legal" to claim those ratings when they were achieved by a truck that you can't buy(remove the seats, no spare tire, no radio, etc)?

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #5  
What I don't understand is how is it "legal" to claim those ratings when they were achieved by a truck that you can't buy(remove the seats, no spare tire, no radio, etc)?

You CAN buy the truck Ford is quoting. I'm not sure where you see that the seats would be removed.

To clear a few things up, Ford doesn't calculate it by removing seats. The only take out things that can be deleted from a vehicle order. You can't delete seats, but you can delete a center console and radio, as well as a jack and spare tire. So, if a person truly wants maximum payload for whatever reason, they can remove those things from the dealer order.

Ford shaved 154 pounds from the weight of the F-450, he said, by removing items that have the possibility of being deleted from a vehicle order. Among the items removed were the spare tire, tire jack, radio and center console.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140728/RETAIL03/307289955/ford-ram-quarrel-over-heavy-duty-pickup-towing-title

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to fight over a few lbs here and there. Ford would have been best served to say 'look, our F350 tows a helluva lot of wait. If that isn't enough, step up to our F450 to tow more than any other factory pickup truck available on the market!' Then they could have avoided the pi$$ing contest.

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #6  
I thought the 450 ran 19.5" tires putting it in the "commercial" medium truck category.

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #7  
Interesting response so far. I believe if this was about a different manufacturer we would be seeing more responses, like what we do in the other threads.

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #8  
I thought the 450 ran 19.5" tires putting it in the "commercial" medium truck category.

The '15 F450 does run 19.5" wheels, but wheel size really has nothing to do with what category the truck is in. It just changes the capability of the truck.

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #9  
Just because GM and Dodge decided not to make a 450/4500 series truck with a bed should not penalize Ford.

Chris

/ How did Ford get their numbers for best in class towing? This is how. Kinda shady. #10  
Interesting response so far. I believe if this was about a different manufacturer we would be seeing more responses, like what we do in the other threads.

Probably so. Most people realize this is a non-issue and is just a pi$$ing match between Ram and Ford. Much ado about nothing.