New trailer hitch law in NY?

/ New trailer hitch law in NY? #1  

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
I just found out today it is against the law to have your trailer hitch in the receiver when not towing a trailer. Local and State PD are issuing tickets if they see your truck on the road with a hitch in the receiver. There is also a big push this month for pulling over all trucks towing trailers and checking for proper registration, plates, and inspection. Personally If I am going to be rear ended by another driver I'd rather have them hit the hitch than my truck but seems I can't do that anymore.

/ New trailer hitch law in NY? #2  
What are their thoughts on all the other countless accessories that go in a hitch?

/ New trailer hitch law in NY? #3  
Probably a resurfacing of an old rumor. This is 4 years old, but hasn't been taken down:

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=15489

"(August 10, 2010 - Albany) - New York State Police Traffic Services has recently received numerous inquiries regarding the legality of trailer hitch receiver use when not actually towing anything.

Despite persistent rumors, it is not illegal to leave the trailer hitch ball mount in the receiver on the vehicle when not towing."

=====================

Call your local State Police office to verify.

Bruce

/ New trailer hitch law in NY?
Probably a resurfacing of an old rumor. This is 4 years old, but hasn't been taken down:

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=15489

"(August 10, 2010 - Albany) - New York State Police Traffic Services has recently received numerous inquiries regarding the legality of trailer hitch receiver use when not actually towing anything.

Despite persistent rumors, it is not illegal to leave the trailer hitch ball mount in the receiver on the vehicle when not towing."

=====================

Call your local State Police office to verify.

Bruce

Thanks for that link. I'll print it out and pass it to my friends that tow or leave their hitch in without towing. Good to know. I personally don't know the person who got a ticket but will pass this on to the person who told me they did and he does know them. Then they can fight it in court.

/ New trailer hitch law in NY? #5  
I just found out today it is against the law to have your trailer hitch in the receiver when not towing a trailer. Local and State PD are issuing tickets if they see your truck on the road with a hitch in the receiver. There is also a big push this month for pulling over all trucks towing trailers and checking for proper registration, plates, and inspection. Personally If I am going to be rear ended by another driver I'd rather have them hit the hitch than my truck but seems I can't do that anymore.

Could be the lawmakers in NY are related to Diamondpilot :D

/ New trailer hitch law in NY? #6  
This same rumor keeps re-surfacing here in Ontario Canada as well.
Luckily, we have a police officer on one of our other forums, and he confirms regularly, that it is just a rumor, and that there is no such law.
Since an " I,m sorry " doesn,t fix the dents in my rear bumper, II,l keep my rad buster in the hitch, to remind folks that they shouldn,t really park their vehicle by sound, or until they feel a bump.
I like to keep my stuff in top shape, and a scratch or dent in my rear bumper would drive me nuts, to the point I would either have to get it repaired, or replaced.
Hopefully my trailer hitch keeps doing double duty.

/ New trailer hitch law in NY? #7  
Wouldn't surprise me any in this police state .. Maybe our illustrious governor's idea.

Lawmakers get paid to make laws ... no matter how inane.

Dump Cuomo!

/ New trailer hitch law in NY? #10  
I'm glad it turned out to be an unfounded rumor. I tow a lot with my pick up, and really wouldn't want to have to remove the hitch every time I take my trailer off.