Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor

Default Re: Dodge Cummins Engine Concern

Quote Originally Posted by woodskiff View Post
    By the way, the OP should know that you can check the original HOURS on that motor and compare the miles with engine Idle time. It's a Key on/off hold trip A type of check, but the hours are logged in the system module for that engine.
    Sounds interesting. Can you go into a little more detail on how to do this and how to get the output result.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    Just to clarify, Ford bought every 7.3 from Navistar.
    And every 6.0 and every 6.4...
    IIRC, most of the problems that Ford had with the 6.0 and 6.4 were not found on the Navistar versions of the same engines. The reason being that Ford used slightly different emissions equipment (EGR cooler for one) which caused many of their problems.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    2014 BX25DLB-1

Quote Originally Posted by Furu View Post
    Sounds interesting. Can you go into a little more detail on how to do this and how to get the output result.
    Hello Furu, Yes, I will....I'm bouncing around in my boat as much as I can this week, but I'll get the details from my truck and write it up. This might be helpful to buyers of used vehicles...especially when a used commercial vehicle with low miles becomes available. IMO, Lots of Idle time is not good for a diesel.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    And every 6.0 and every 6.4...
    IIRC, most of the problems that Ford had with the 6.0 and 6.4 were not found on the Navistar versions of the same engines. The reason being that Ford used slightly different emissions equipment (EGR cooler for one) which caused many of their problems.

Aaron Z
    If I'm not mistaken ,, Cummins used / uses water cooled EGR on the 6.7
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Quote Originally Posted by woodskiff View Post
    Hello PapaPerk, My Cummins has 92,000 on it. Funny, I too had the rear calipers seize up at around 50k if I remember correctly. The Carter Lift pump is around $125 bucks and very easy to swap out. I keep a spare in the truck tool box just in case, but it's not something to dwell on and I enjoy truck. The Dealer would replace the original lift pump if it failed and locate the new lift pump into the fuel tank. I didn't want them to modify or touch my truck so I kept it original. By the way, the OP should know that you can check the original HOURS on that motor and compare the miles with engine Idle time. It's a Key on/off hold trip A type of check, but the hours are logged in the system module for that engine.
    Thanks for the info! What's your opinion on me replacing my pump as preventive maint?

Yeah I had around 60,000 when the calipers started dragging. They get a good salt bath in the winter .

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    All the manufactures had to deal with the same emission regs. they added nothing extra to ford/ navstar. others were able to deal with the regs better than Ford / navstar.. The new ford diesels are no better. My son is a medic and drives the Ford built diesel rescue trucks. He says the Fire Dept has already stated the next rescue trucks won't be a Fords due to the many problems they have had with their rescue trucks. I forget what he said it cost every time the truck goes to the shop to have the cab pulled just to work on the engine , but it isn't cheap.. Pull the cab just to work on the engine ????? Now that's a better Idea !!!!. The only good diesel that ford built was the 7.3...That 1 good engine hardly makes up for the many bad diesels ford made.... Like I said , I've owned many dodge cars/ trucks over my life ...Never a rust issue... If I had had the rust problems that many here mention, I wouldn't have owned as many Dodges as I have owned. I currently also own an 07 Toyota tundra... I haven't had any issued with the Toyota. I've own several Chevy / Dodge vehicles as service vehicles... No problems. As previously stated,,, I will never own another Ford , as 1 was plenty

I've heard of similar issues around here with the Ford EMS vehicles. Almost all of the vehicles have had their engines replaced at least once. Country I'm from switched to the kodiak style GM chassis and got away from the Fords.

The Ford 7.3 engine was made buy Navistar (IH). Ford Diesel engine can't be trusted. Only people around here that have Ford Diesels are the rich horse folk. Cause they have money to burn anyway! (0:

I'm waiting for a Toyota 1 ton with Diesel. That would be a sweet machine with a CAT, Cummins or Hino diesel in it! Still keeping my dodge cummins though! (0:

Tractor
    none yet

Are you guys talking about the lift pump on a common rail truck because I was only aware of it being an issues on the '98.5-2002 trucks

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPerk View Post
    Thanks for the info! What's your opinion on me replacing my pump as preventive maint?

Yeah I had around 60,000 when the calipers started dragging. They get a good salt bath in the winter .
    That's not a truck problem. Its a salt problem that happens to all brands.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor
    2014 BX25DLB-1

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmike69 View Post
    Are you guys talking about the lift pump on a common rail truck because I was only aware of it being an issues on the '98.5-2002 trucks
    Hi Firemanmike69,
    The 98.5-2002/2nd generation 24V Cummins Ram utilized a VP44 pump and when the lift pump failed it failed in an expensive way. 2003 started the 3rd Generation, common rail engines. The filter mounted lift pump was a consistent weak spot in the fuel delivery but the failure did not create bigger issues to the repair. I believe, that by 2005 all the diesel rams had the fuel tank pumps.

Tractor
    2014 BX25DLB-1

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPerk View Post

I'm waiting for a Toyota 1 ton with Diesel. That would be a sweet machine with a CAT, Cummins or Hino diesel in it! Still keeping my dodge cummins though! (0:
    Nissan Trucks are working with Cummins Diesel for an engine option in the Titan.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast