Dodge Cummins Engine Concern

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #161  
Does that 1987 have disc rear brakes? I bet not. If it does, you're just plain lucky.
My 2004 GMC seizes up the rear calipers readily if not looked after. Salt damage is LOTS more prevalent in rear calipers than front.

Haha! Good point... Rear drums. Duh! Lol!

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #164  
My 1991 Silverado had to have several of the brake lines, the gas line and the gas tank replaced due to rust. I eventually traded it in when the rocker panels under the extended cab area rusted through. Wouldn't pass inspection, wasn't worth fixing. Got a 2004 Silverado, Z71, 4x4. Yeah, I know, but the price was right. Replaced one brake line due to rust. About a year later, another one rusted through when my BIL was driving it. I had to replace that brake line and my BIL's underwear. No one hurt when the brake pedal went to the floor and he had to use the emergency brake to stop. I finally had all the brake lines replaced with stainless steel ones.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #165  
My '04 Sierra has only 60,000 miles. I have replaced all the brake lines, all the fuel lines (at the same time when the first brake line failed) and the rear bumper due to rust. My rocker panels & cab corners are solid due to front mudflaps from day 1. I'm committed to keeping this truck as I'm not ready to be without a truck, but it is no longer my daily driver for spring, summer & fall. I recently bought a Mini Cooper S hatchback which is infinitely more fun to drive.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #166  
   / Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #167  
I own a Dodge like the OP is looking at....overall great truck.

On the battery subject, I am convinced that heat kills batteries faster than cold.
For me, the most we get is 3 years. Only exception was a Toyota FJ40 that lasted 7 years.
Two batteries in parallel is a crap shoot.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #169  
I own a 2005 2500 Cummins. I only have 36 k on mine and can tell you that mine really didn't break in until 30 k. I went from a solid 19 mpg to 22 mpg right after I turned 30 k. I think a full fluid swap is a good idea along with belt and hoses. I did have the rotors on my truck rot at the edges and tear up the pads and I definitely attribute that to it not being driven. I would also recommend removing the tires especially if you have the aluminum rims and coat the back of the rims with anti seize. I had a **** of a time getting mine of the rotors. I would also change the fuel filter frequently and run Diesel Kleen or some other treatment the first couple of tank fulls Every vehicle I ever owned I usually drove a lot, but I have a company vehicle that I drive to work and its kept the mileage low on my truck. I bought a Dodge because a former employer ran them and didn't maintain them and still got 300k out of them. good luck with it !!!

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern
I probably need to join some truck forum but will ask here as this is less truck and more Cummins engine related and diesel engine to some degree is diesel engine.

I have been looking at, for some time an upgrade to my tow vehicle for moving my equipment.

I most likely will have the opportunity to purchase a 2006 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton truck shortly. Without going into TMI of the personal details of the owner it is a 2006 with a little over 17K miles. Most of that was prior to 3 years ago and in the last three years has had even less with it being driven on Sundays mostly. (no jokes about the grandma car only being driven to church on Sundays)

While I really was looking for a 1 ton for more flexibility I think the 3/4 will do what I need.

My question/concern is:
At 17.1K the engine is barley broken in and after that little use in 8 years and especially in the last 3 years how much/many problems might I be looking at with an engine that has basically been rotting on the vine?
If I get it, it will have a full fluid swap and fuel filter change immediately unless I find evidence that it has been done very recently.

Well it is "a sad day in Mudville" for those that are old enough to understand the phrase.

The owner decided to sell it to a family friend of her father's (it was his truck, rip) and not to her friend, my wife. As a result I will not get the truck. :( Not happy, disappointed, all that, but, oh well.
Since the owner had been thinking about whether or not she would sell it for months I had put off looking elsewhere as I thought this was a deal worth waiting for.
Now I can look elsewhere without thinking that I missed a deal. I know I missed it, there is no thinking that I might.