Dodge Cummins Engine Concern

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I probably need to join some truck forum but will ask here as this is less truck and more Cummins engine related and diesel engine to some degree is diesel engine.

I have been looking at, for some time an upgrade to my tow vehicle for moving my equipment.

I most likely will have the opportunity to purchase a 2006 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton truck shortly. Without going into TMI of the personal details of the owner it is a 2006 with a little over 17K miles. Most of that was prior to 3 years ago and in the last three years has had even less with it being driven on Sundays mostly. (no jokes about the grandma car only being driven to church on Sundays)

While I really was looking for a 1 ton for more flexibility I think the 3/4 will do what I need.

My question/concern is:
At 17.1K the engine is barley broken in and after that little use in 8 years and especially in the last 3 years how much/many problems might I be looking at with an engine that has basically been rotting on the vine?
If I get it, it will have a full fluid swap and fuel filter change immediately unless I find evidence that it has been done very recently.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #3  
You should be good to go.
Agree ...

As you know, I just sold my 2005 RAM 3500 recently ... and it only had 14K miles on it.

As long as the vehicle you're looking at was maintained and driven regularly/periodically ... and not left to set for 5 years straight or something without being driven at all, it should be in great shape for the most part.

The only thing I can think that might be somewhat dicey is the rubber (hoses and belts)

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #4  
I own a 2004 Cummins, and let me tell you, that is a heck of a find. The 3rd gen Cummins, 2003, to early 2007 is one of the holy grails of Cummins right now. They are very high in value mosly since they don't have very many, if any emmisions controls. That year will only have a cat. convertor and that's about it. It seems like every different year will have a couple of week points. It seems like that year might have the plastic end tanks for the intercooler that are known for blowing out, but I'm not sure. Even then its not usually a problem until later or if you don't leave it stock.

That will be a strong running truck and you will often see trucks like that selling for over 30k. Like others have said, unless it just sat for almost all its life, it should be in good shape. If it helps any, the truck is almost indentical to a 1 ton single rear wheel truck. The only difference is the rear springs. In other words, it has the same brakes, same transmission, same axles as a 1 ton SRW. Add air bags or the on extra factory overload spring and you have a one ton single rear wheel. Also, depending on how its geared and if its 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive, automatic or stick, you should be able to haul down fuel mileage in the high teens if you drive it easy.

That's a great find, jump on it right away before someone else does and please post up a few picks and more info.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #5  
I had a 1996 Dodge with a Cummins in it. It had 165,000 miles on it when I sold it. The only problem I ever had with it was the fuel lines. They started sucking air and had to be replaced.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern
I know it is a "find" !

I have been looking for 2005 -2006 Cummins 1 ton for some time but just can't find it. Yes I have heard it is the same except for the axle spring as the 1 ton but it is still legally a 3/4 no matter what I do. I need to find out what the rear end is. It was described to my wife as a 2006 4 door, long bed with cab with 17.1k miles. Not much more info at this time. Trying to get more data and hoping that the person first in line will walk away since he is not described as "serious" but is a family friend on the father side. My wife is friend on the daughter side.

My question is mega or quad cab as that effects the bed length from my understanding as the mega takes bed away. I think it is a 4 wd if not I will not go any further looking at it most likely. Trying to find out ST, SLT, Laramie and what is on it so as to get a reasonable price to offer or to discuss around.

I know the Ram front end is nothing to write home about but that year engine is worth the front end issue. I have a friend (2006 ram) who swears he can get 22-23 on highway stock. Doubt it but? Pulling 10k trailer wt 15-16 mpg vs the 8-9 that I currently see and POWER to spare.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #7  
It will be great. The break in discussions are way blown out of proportion.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #8  
Agreed, great find! Fluids changed, check belt and hoses and you'll be golden. One possible concern might be if algae has grown in the fuel tank. This will likely be evident when you change the fuel filter. And I agree with the air bags. A set of overloads would make you equivalent to a 1 ton but if you add air bags, you have stiffness adjustability. Plus if you plumb the left and right sides independently, you also increase sway control. I do this on all trucks I buy.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #9  
If it's listed as long bed, and the listing is correct, it's not mega cab. Unless it's had a lot of money spent on it. Long bed mega cabs weren't a factory option. There's a company that modifies them, but after lengthening the frame and installing a factory bed, it's a very expensive add on

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #10  
Yea, no long bed Megas. Factory rear gears are either 3.73 or4.10.

I towed my Dodge Challenger on a car trailer and got about 15 mpg. I'm not sure I would expect that with a 10 k trailer but it depends on how much air it catches.