Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #1  

lilranch2001

Tractor
Bobcat CT 235
I want back through threads looking for this type of question, but did not see anything, and typically searches never seem to bring up the topics I am looking for anyway.

I have only been around leaf spring trailers, never a torsion axle trailer.

Is one better than the other?

It seems that the manufacturers who spec torsion axles think so.

The trailer brand (Sure Trac) that I am looking at and leaning towards does not offer torsion, and before I pull the trigger I would like input from people (you guys) who are probably a lot smarter and experienced than I am regarding the topic.

What I am looking at is a bumper pull 20 foot, 14 K equipment trailers.

I would like a gooseneck, but not sure it is worth, or even advisable to spend the extra money.

Also I was going to go aluminum rims, any down side any of you may have on that.

Typically the heaviest load I will be hauling would be my CT-235 Bobcat tractor/loader/bush hog.

Any trailer purchasing advice you may have would be appreciated

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #2  
torsion is more compact and usually quieter ... but if anything happens , you're stuck waiting for the exact replacement parts before you are back on the road .... With leaf , parts are available anywhere ... (not everyone wants to work on torsion suspensions )

you can see the wear on leafs and spot trouble ahead of time ... torsion is hidden till it pops.

Alum rims look nice , but ding easily ( curbs and potholes ) and corrode if subjected to salt ... and probably get painted after a few years anyway ... save the money for more important things than bling ... trees and ground don't care what your rig looks like...

just keep it presentable and spend the cash on things that make your life easier when working .....

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #3  
I have only used one torsion trailer... a 28' enclosed trailer. It is nice because you can usually get a lower profile trailer, but I prefer the load-equalizing ability of leaf springs. Afaik, there is no way to equalize the load between torsion springs, so if you have to drive over uneven ground you are going to have one axle (and set of tires) taking the entire weight of the trailer at times. But yes, as mentioned, they can be noisy at times, especially when empty.

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #4  
I am not sure, for sure, but you can get shocks put on leaf spring axles. I don't think you can for torsion axles. Maybe it doesn't matter with most trailers, but it sure is nice with campers.

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #5  
Torsion is great for reducing trailer height. I have two trailers that are made out of old gas station lifts. Solid axles welded right to the bottom of them. Tires provide the only suspension. Run about 8 inches off the ground. Steel wheels and E range tires. I am in Ohio so in a couple of years your alum wheels turn ugly,better to get some stainless steel hubcaps for the look. Pull behind a dump truck so no place for a gooseneck. Have Warn 12,000 electric winch on one for dragging home broken down junk. I have a triple axle Ti Star dump gooseneck that rarely gets used because of the height. Afraid of loading and unloading the tractor.

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #6  
I have only used one torsion trailer... a 28' enclosed trailer. It is nice because you can usually get a lower profile trailer, but I prefer the load-equalizing ability of leaf springs. Afaik, there is no way to equalize the load between torsion springs, so if you have to drive over uneven ground you are going to have one axle (and set of tires) taking the entire weight of the trailer at times. But yes, as mentioned, they can be noisy at times, especially when empty.

I agree with info above. I would go steel with leaf springs for tractor hauling. Just because it is much cheaper. I have aluminum horse trailer with torsion axles it is very nice with low load height. Tractors dont need a low load height or piss and crap corrosive " things ". You may want to check out Kaufman trailers.

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #7  
I have two SureTrac trailer. One is a 10K cargo trailer and the other is a 14K Tilt Deck. The Cargo trailer has torsion axles and the tilt deck has traditional slipper spring suspension. The biggest disadvantage of the torsion system is the lack of an equalizer. As a result it is easy to overload one axle if the trailer is not perfectly level when loaded near max GVWR. The torsion axles do ride smoother and quieter, but are not great for heavy trailers that have varying loads over uneven terrain.

20140816_094431.jpgPICT0050.jpg

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #8  
I have a 24' rv camper trailer & a 12K dump trailer with torsion axles.I have a 20' flat trailer I haul my tractor & other things on..It has 2 5200# axles with springs... I wished all my trailers had springs.. when the torsion part of the axle goes bad. You have to buy another complete axle... Springs are cheaper to replace than a complete axle

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles
Thanks, some very valuable information so far!

/ Trailer leaf springs vs torsion axles #10  
I work on trailers weekly and I see lots more issues with axle damage on torsion. With no load leveling it's very easy to overload one.

Chris