Auto tire chains

/ Auto tire chains #1  

diesel lover

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,
Last winter turned out to be tough having a 2wd Pickup. I have a 97 F150, long bed open differential. I was thinking about gettting two studded tires for the rear, but im finding only a few places that stud tires and they only like to stud brand new tires that you bought from them. I may still buy two new all season/ or snow tires. I find my kelly safari tires on the rear of my truck have hard rubber and that was part of the problem with my winter traction. Money is still tight, but i honestly think buying two tire chains for the rear would be worth it for some of the emergancys I had last year. I got lucky. Although I pulled out a few stuck vehicles, I was trying to make it up a Badly iced, hilly overpass and found myself sliding sideways down the hill. With tight traffic i had no way that i could have gained speed before hitting the hill. A pay loader driver removing snow was nice enough to straighten me out, and a guy with a 4wd truck was generous enough to pull me up the hill with my strap.

All that being said I do use weight in the bed of my pickup truck, bags of tube sand, and a bucket or two filled with road salt. I do plan on putting different tires on the rear that are more plyable. What tire chains could I get for an event like this? $60 spent is better than being stranded in -20F or colder.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Titan Chain/TC2829CAM.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Glacier/PWPLC1144.html

A few search results from e trailer for 245/70/16 tire size. Thank you

/ Auto tire chains #2  
With a open diff the chains will be minimal at best.

I remember your issues last year but living where we do you really need to find a way to get a 4x4 truck. Even going to a smaller truck to stay in budget will be better.

The other option is a locker in your rear diff.

Chris

/ Auto tire chains #3  
When I went from 4WD to 2WD back in 1982, I immediately bought a set of tire chains (the plain style).

Now on my 4th 2WD, and since then have used the chains (1) time. But I always have them*

Back in the old days, one could get a parking brake set-up for Volkswagon-based dune buggies where one could apply the brake to one rear wheel (differential braking- just like a tractor !). I would not mind having a set-up like that.

(* Did have to buy a new set when a new truck had different size wheels. Modified the old set for my garden tractor)

/ Auto tire chains #4  
I used tire chains on my open diff international 4700. The duals are terrible in the ice, but tire chains make it very manageable in the wintertime(I use dual tire chains meaning all 4 tires on the rear have chain on them). The open diff doesn't slow me down much either even when pulling a trailer. It really sucks throwing them on, but I wouldn't be able to get out of the driveway sometimes without them on!

The liability of studding used tires is why they won't do it. Snow tires are pretty cheap. Might even be able to find some already studded tires on craigslist.

/ Auto tire chains
With a open diff the chains will be minimal at best.

I remember your issues last year but living where we do you really need to find a way to get a 4x4 truck. Even going to a smaller truck to stay in budget will be better.

The other option is a locker in your rear diff.

Chris
Thanks for the reply. At some point I will be able to get a 4wd. A 4wd truck with two open differentials and decent tires is definately better than a locking diff and two wheel drive. My dad was giving me his 2000 gmc Sierra/ 4wd, 4.8 v8 with a manual engaging transfer case but he said he is not ready to part with it yet. I'm not wanting to get a 4wd truck if the price is double of the two wheel drive version. For example, when I was attempting to purchase a half ton truck I found my truck with 115k, needed repairs but it was 2000$. I found half ton trucks with 170+k for $4000! I have been very skeptical of these newer 4wd systems as well. They are complex for sure! Im sure I will find plenty of work removing snow again this year so as far as that goes I will be driving in the bad weather unfortunately.

/ Auto tire chains
Redneck, I completely understand where you are coming from. I have been around medium duty and heavy duty trucks removing snow and tire chains on duals make an unbelievable difference especially when the truck has one drive axle and not tandems.

From the description of your Int. 4700 you must have a type of tire chains called triples! I am familure with them! 2 chains will chain up four tires. The Worst part of having an open differential and tire chains on a single axle truck is once you loose one chain, your done! Your unchained tire or tires will spin. Seen it happen a few times with heavy trucks.

I am still considering 2 winter tires that are studded. The only down side is once they are atudded there is no logical reason to remove the studs. They are best saved for the worst days of winter

/ Auto tire chains #7  
"..I have been very skeptical of these newer 4wd systems..."

The 4WD I had over 3 decades ago had a manually-shifted transfer case, and manually-locking hubs.

That is what I would want in a new 4Wd, but I don't think you can get that anymore. Everything is vacuum/electric with push-buttons & solenoids.

And don't even get me started on independent front suspension vs. a nice, strong, solid, reliable one-piece front axle.

/ Auto tire chains #8  
Let me offer this alternative to the chains or studs for your 2wd pickup.. How about getting a set of Blizzak tires?. If you will research them the reports are rather positive. The downsides are that they are extremely soft, and don't perform well in hot weather. You would only want to put them on when snow is predicted and take them off when you feel the last snow/ice event is over for the season. Check them out and see what you think.

Bridgestone Winter / Snow Tires

/ Auto tire chains #9  
Redneck, I completely understand where you are coming from. I have been around medium duty and heavy duty trucks removing snow and tire chains on duals make an unbelievable difference especially when the truck has one drive axle and not tandems.

From the description of your Int. 4700 you must have a type of tire chains called triples! I am familure with them! 2 chains will chain up four tires. The Worst part of having an open differential and tire chains on a single axle truck is once you loose one chain, your done! Your unchained tire or tires will spin. Seen it happen a few times with heavy trucks.

I am still considering 2 winter tires that are studded. The only down side is once they are atudded there is no logical reason to remove the studs. They are best saved for the worst days of winter

Yes I meant triple chains and they are the only way to go for medium duty trucks. The bungies really help to keep the chains where they need to be as does checking them regularly. They just dont make a good winter tire for them. I second k0ua's post about the winter tires. They have come along way in recent years. Either way with a cheap set of studded tires or a good set of winter tires, make sure you have different sneakers for the summer time. Winter tires tend to wear very quickly.