TESLA all electric for towing...

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Saw a Tesla electric towing two jet skis this morning...

Did a quick internet search I found this picture of a factory Tesla in San Francisco with a tow setup.

Model X will have excellent towing capability. Despite photo, Model S will not offer option

And found this online video for hitch install with links for Nissan and Tesla.

Yes, Teslas Can Tow: Model S Trailer Hitch Installation (Video)

Despite opinions pro and con... Tesla has been a tremendous boon to the local economy and has brought back all the jobs lost and more when the joint GM/Toyota plant closed in Fremont in 2010.

When GM/Toyota closed the plant 4,700 jobs went with it... Tesla will soon have 6,500 in it's California workforce and it I can see expansion activity every time I drive by the plant...

Plans for the Tesla Model X SUV are also on track with factory tow package as standard....

Elon Musk... love him or not... he does seem to be able to make his visions reality and now with the Model X there will be a tow rated all electric SUV.

Last edited:
   / TESLA all electric for towing...
   / TESLA all electric for towing... #3  
I have a buddy that just drove the Tesla sports car. He said it accelerated so fast it reminded him of a carnival ride.

I have a buddy that just drove the Tesla sports car. He said it accelerated so fast it reminded him of a carnival ride.

Never driven one... a few that I know say the acceleration is out of this world...

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #5  
I wish Tesla would build an electric that I could afford, would be perfect for the wife's typical daily commute. Vehicle would need to be in the low 30K range.

They say an affordable model is coming... don't think it will hit the 30k mark... some reports say mid 30's...

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #7  
Towing with an electric drivetrain actually makes sense. Electric motors develop more low-end torque than equivalent gas motors, and we all know torque is better for getting heavy loads moving.

I wouldn't be concerned about the electric drivetrain, I'll be worried about the chassis it's mounted in ...

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #8  
I wish Tesla would build an electric that I could afford, would be perfect for the wife's typical daily commute. Vehicle would need to be in the low 30K range.

Try the Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi. Electric range, and when the electric runs out, it switches over to gas.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #9  
We tow a 1500lb rated utility trailer with our Toyota Highlander hybrid. It does a great job particularly at higher altitudes where it's not handicapped by the lower amount of available O2.

The only downside is the CV transmission. Since it lacks multiple forward gear choices (Drive (D) only) it's impossible to drop down to a lower gear when descending a steep hill.

/ TESLA all electric for towing... #10  
The CV on my car can be shifted to a lower gear. I shift down when going down a long grade, to save on the brakes. Wonder why they didn't make that available on the Highlander?