Ford Transit < > RAM Promaster

/ Ford Transit < > RAM Promaster #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
Anyone have any experience with these in a cutaway chassis? Both would be max payload and fitted with the base gas V-6's. Can't go diesel because of long idle time requirements.

Are the 3.7 / 3.6 really up to pulling around a 10,000 lb vehicle.

/ Ford Transit < > RAM Promaster #2  
I have a Ram Promaster 3500 we keep it near its max payload often. I am extremely impressed with the 3.6 penstar. It does not lack for power in the slightest. Even fully loaded with tools and materials it has averaged 18.1 mpg hand calculated. That is with a lot of mixed driving. We travel the interstates between jobs but have a lot of city driving as well.

/ Ford Transit < > RAM Promaster
How do you find the chassis in terms of stiffness and structural toughness? I have to admit I was really impressed with the units I looked at.

/ Ford Transit < > RAM Promaster #4  
It rides really well. Not too stuff but you pretty much ride on top of the front tires. The rear must be pretty stuff as I haven't noticed much bounce, or body roll in corners. I always thought these type cans would blow around like a lead in the wind but is not the case at all. I have the highest roof and longest wheelbase. The biggest draw back I hear from my guys is the seats are not the most comfortable.

/ Ford Transit < > RAM Promaster
It's funny, I drove vans like these in Europe 20 years ago and really liked them.