RV trailer frame for flatbed

/ RV trailer frame for flatbed #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I know this has been brought up before but let me say up front I am looking for something that might end up rated at 6-8K. Not planning on hauling super loads, just want something to move long lumber or piping when needed around the place, and maybe the wifes Honda if anything ever breaks. I have 2 neighbors that have built super heavy ones (from scratch. One from FREE steel), one is a certified welder, so technical help will be available for the asking. I will be making mine into a goose neck because I absolutely love the maneuverability of goose necks.

All that said, is there an easy way, when I look at bare RV rolling frames, to know what the factory axles are rated for?

One example is a 26ft dual axle, pull trailer frame. I will convert to GN, and shorten the bed to 16-18ft, might go 20, and move the axles forward, accordingly. I can get rolling frames under $500 like this, and my time welding is no concern for $$$ (retired).

The real question is the axles.

Thanks

/ RV trailer frame for flatbed #2  
I made a 5th wheel out of a 30' RV frame granted this was a older trailer that had a hefty frame under it. (we also added a bunch of supports) I took it into a trailer sales place to find out what the axles were rated at and by looking they said at least 4,000 lbs. I cut 4' and now have a 26' deck off and am now able to haul my tractor rotary cutter and rototiller all in the same trip. It pulls fantastic and I am very pleased with it.

/ RV trailer frame for flatbed
Thanks, will look over the link. I do plan on getting an older one also, they do seem heavier. Were those 4K each? That would work out well, put some heavy duty tires on it.

This is one I was looking at. Just for an idea. I won't be doing this for some time yet, but planning ahead. These things pop up ever so often.

I plan on using the steel I remove from the extra length to strengthen and build the GN portion. A 5th wheel frame would be ideal, just would beef it up some in the hitch area, and wherever else needed to control frame flex.

00g0g_iNapprg7fWD_600x450.jpg

/ RV trailer frame for flatbed #6  
That reminds me of when we built a tilt deck trailer to haul our Stock Car way back coming up on 20 years ago. We started off with a smaller RV trailer and went from there.

/ RV trailer frame for flatbed #7  
Wouldnt it just be easier to start from scratch? By the time you try and beef up the frame and repair what you bend or break, the frustration would drive me nuts.

/ RV trailer frame for flatbed #8  
Is that an RV frame or a house trailer frame. They ain't the same thing. House trailer axles are designed for one or two time use and not for continued use on the highway. House trailer axles are not legal on utility trailers in some states. Dexter does not recommend house trailer axles be used on utility trailers. Most house trailer have 14in wheels, most smaller travel trailer have 15 in and the larger ones have 16 in.

/ RV trailer frame for flatbed #9  
I find new trailers are cheap considering steel cost, labor,paint, if you use it for several years resale is high also. If RV frame look for box tubing not I beam, toy hauler, large heavy 5th wheel type frame. Mobile home frames are junk plus you can no longer get a title for them in my state as homemade. Makes resale worth almost nothing
Good Luck
Scott

OK thanks for the feedback. Wasn't aware of the differences between RV and MH frames. Sometimes there are RV's ready to haul off for the asking. I would still prefer to start with a 5th wheel frame. As I mentioned previously I won't be hauling any 10K loads so not worrying about bending a frame.

Around here a ready made one, even used will be several thousand dollars, money I don't have. Am retired, so labor is free and if I can get the scrap, materials will be at least affordable.

Local DMV gave me no issues on my last trailer build. It was a former farm trailer, used to haul bins full of grapes. The problem is it is only 4x8 in the bed. Sometimes I need a longer one and a flatbed for accessibility.