Chevy vs Ford for work truck

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I am looking at buying a 2015 3/4 ton gas 4x4 truck for work. I will not be driving it my employees will so I really don't care a whole lot about ride, features, etc. What I am concerned with is which is more likely to hold up longer and give me less problems.

The truck will be used to pull trailers 5,000 - 10,000lb maybe 1000 miles a month. The rest of the time it will be practically empty shuttling 4 guys back and forth from jobsites and just parked at the jobsites during the day.

Any advice or is it really just a matter of personal preference?

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #2  
Ford all the way. That is all the towns buy.

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #3  
No frame issues and no electrical issues.

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #4  
Why a 3/4 ton for only 10K? Either way both are ok but to me the Ford with its solid front axle is just a tougher setup and comes with a much better transmission.

Chris

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #5  
Are you buying a chassis cab and adding a flat bed or just a regular crew cab work truck? Really either one would be fine, I know the Chevy's are new (think the super dutys are too but not sure). The 6.0 is stone reliable and been around since forever it seems like. I will say more farmers around here seem to be turning to Ram here in the HD trucks lately for some reason. Not me, if I can't buy a GM I'll just buy a Ford.

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #6  
Most all trucks are good nowadays..Anyway, you could easily do what you listed with a correctly equipped 1/2 ton. In fact most of the ones sitting on the lot can do it without any great shakes....Might get a better deal on the 3/4 due to the more limited demand though...

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #7  
Most all trucks are good nowadays..Anyway, you could easily do what you listed with a correctly equipped 1/2 ton. In fact most of the ones sitting on the lot can do it without any great shakes....Might get a better deal on the 3/4 due to the more limited demand though...

I actually went to buy a 2014 2500 HD but got a better deal on a 2014 all new 1/2 ton. The HD was last years model btw. I thought that was odd so I went with the 1/2 ton because it was thousands more off even though the msrp of the two trucks was close.

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #8  
I actually went to buy a 2014 2500 HD but got a better deal on a 2014 all new 1/2 ton. The HD was last years model btw. I thought that was odd so I went with the 1/2 ton because it was thousands more off even though the msrp of the two trucks was close.

That is odd..Some of the 1 tons and 3/4's that I looked at had much better deals, I just couldn't do it due to having to park in the occasional city parking garage and the over 1/2 tons are generally too tall.

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck
Why a 3/4 ton for only 10K? Either way both are ok but to me the Ford with its solid front axle is just a tougher setup and comes with a much better transmission.

Chris

We are using it for business and work out of state. Under those conditions if you GVWR is over 10k you must follow all DOT rules like log books hours of service etc. If we keep the truck under the limit we only have to follow the rules when trailers are attached and we are traveling to the jobs and not on a day to day basis while we are there.

/ Chevy vs Ford for work truck #10  
I could be wrong, but I think Chris was alluding to modern 1/2 tons being capable (w. certain option packages) of towing 10,000#.

Rgds, D.